26 replies to this topic

#1 Blechroboter

Blechroboter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:05 PM

From time to time, not so often, things happen in a collectors life that one can call great luck.
Those highlights are what makes toy collecting quite exciting. I donīt thought that I will get an golden Attacking Martian.
Ok a silver one is not so hard to get and a few times I got one beneath. Now to my surprise Iīm the owner of a golden AM.
He was far away from mint but with some enjoyable hours of restoration he will reach a cabinet look.

amgold1.jpg
Blechroboter.de

Es kracht und zischt, der Roboter macht nischt. Er kam vom Mars, und das warīs!

#2 Blechroboter

Blechroboter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:12 PM

At first I checked the robots look and functions.
He was allover dirty (in the kind of a "gunked" robot), has some rust smaller spots. Especially the left upper arm is missing some of its gold clour.
Robot is in working condition but both the arms did not swing. Only one gun is lighted. Perhaps a loose wire.

amgold2.jpg amgold3.jpg

amgold4.jpg amgold5.jpg
Blechroboter.de

#3 Blechroboter

Blechroboter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:20 PM

First step is a cleaning. I used denatured alcohol (Brennspiritus) and warm water with Palmolive, also some Q-Tips/cotton buds for tight corners.
Apropos; do you remember Madge from Palmolive? Here she is!
The effect of cleaning is good to be seen at the battery box. The left side is cleaned.

amgold6.jpg amgold7.jpg
Blechroboter.de

#4 Blechroboter

Blechroboter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:31 PM

Now it is to be open the robot for removing of the silver parts to polish and for soldering work.
You can see the loose red wire in the upper left corner, also a light grey wire can be seen. Which means the robot was opened in the past for soldering.
In the last pic the head parts are polished and parts put together again. The three door parts on the left side are polished yet.

amgold8.jpg amgold9.jpg

amgold10.jpg amgold11.jpg

Blechroboter.de

#5 Blechroboter

Blechroboter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:41 PM

Now I fixed the arms and painted some (not all !) of the rust spots.
It don not make sense to do a complete paint job, because it is an old robot in used condition. He will never become mint again.
If I learned something in the past decades of restoration, it is better not to do too much. It will never look like new and the toy is definetely less worth then.

amgold12.jpg amgold13.jpg
Blechroboter.de

#6 Blechroboter

Blechroboter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:50 PM

Now he has the cabinet look and itīs finished.
For cleaning I needed one and a half hour. Polishing also.
Paint job was half an hour. Soldering needs three! hours. Had some problems with missing contact at the switch.
All in all it was a work full of joy and now Iīm looking forward positive for a silver Attacking Martian biggrin.gif

amgold14.jpg amgold15.jpg
Blechroboter.de

#7 Robotopia

Robotopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:14 PM

This robot looks beautiful. Fantastic restoration job.
I had a couple of questions as I read your post.
1. What was the ratio used for the cleaning solution that used the Palmolive, denatured alcohol and water? It sounded like they were mixed together and not used separately
2. What kind of gold paint did you use? Was it acrylic or some kind of enamel paint?

Thanks for sharing.
Thomas Wood
Atlanta, GA

#8 Blechroboter

Blechroboter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:48 PM

QUOTE (Robotopia @ Oct 7 2009, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...Palmolive, denatured alcohol and water? It sounded like they were mixed together and not used separately

Normally for cleaning I take Palmolive or another dishwashing liquid with some warm water ( cold water causes cold fingers laugh.gif )
and clean the toy the wet corner of a dish towel after I dipped it in the palmolive water. In this special case the robot was very dirty.
He was covered with a kind of tar - caused by smoke. When I opened the robot it smells like wood smoke by a fireplace with a
chimney that draws badly. It wasnīt the smell of cigarettes I think. For some hard to remove tar spots I used the denatured alcohol.
Attention: the red feet donīt like it (at this robot). Usually I need about 30 minutes or less for cleaning. In this case it needs threetimes longer.

I used an special golden oil paint. Itīs for artists. Normally you coloured different things like picture frames with your (coloured) fingertips.
I made some good experiences with it. I mixed it with a few splashes of darker golden enamel paint. But you can use the type of colours you like.
Normally I prefer Enamel colours for restorating old toys. Acrylic colours of the same colour that is needed do often have different pigments.
Otherwise Enamel colours often have the same pigments like the vintage toys have. therefore the results with Enamel colours are often better.
Blechroboter.de