Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Robots In Supercar

7 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hi All. I recently got the Gerry Anderson Supercar Box Set. I was watching an episode titled "The Lost City" which was about a mad scientist who had an army of robots. I thought they looked familiar. They were also used in a Fireball XL5 episode called "The Granitoid Tanks." They were known as the "Granitoids." But here is a vid cap from the Supercar episode.

post-125-1238955447.jpg

Posted · Report post

Cool - I vaguely remember these guys after all these many years!!!

Posted · Report post

What year is this show from? There is something about the quality of photography that reminds me of the Diamond Planet box.

They both share a nuance that I associate with the early 1960's. The Gumby show had that feel too.

Posted (edited) · Report post

What year is this show from? There is something about the quality of photography that reminds me of the Diamond Planet box.

They both share a nuance that I associate with the early 1960's. The Gumby show had that feel too.

Supercar was made in 1960. Yeah, I know the feel you mean. Fireball XL5 was 1962 and has the same feel. Here is a pic of those robots from the Granitoid Tanks episode of XL5.

post-125-1238971757.jpg

Edited by kennetzel

Posted · Report post

Great find! I had never seen these robots before. Thanks for posting pictures.

Posted · Report post

I have Supercar, Fireball XL5, Stingray, Thunderbirds and Captain Scarlet on DVD in the box sets. I just happened to come across the episodes with these bots in them. I just started watching Thunderbirds this week...I'll keep my eyes open for any robots in those shows.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Fantastic detective work Ken,,,,I knew about the Braiman Thunderbird robot but I really had completely forgot these Supercar / Fireball XL 5 robots,although I must have seen them before I used to watch all the episodes when they were originally out and was even in the Supercar club :blush: I was only about 6 years old though :P

Edited by Sparkrobot