#1 Blechroboter

Blechroboter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 06:19 PM

StarRobot2.jpg

I couldnīt find those bots in the Database. So itīs time to build a monument for them biggrin.gif
They are marked with "Tomy 1977 Taiwan" and called "Star Robot"

StarRobot1.jpg

These two cute bots I bought in 1978. It was my beginning of robot collecting,
only to stop a few years later unlike Gernot. And began again collecting three years ago.
I remember well where I made that bargain. In the toyshop at my former hometown.
Than I visited my mother two weeks ago, I also visited the still existing toyshop.
Found a blue version called "Rascal Robot". Marked "Tomy" and "Made in China"
Really a strange thing. I felt like 30 years ago. T-H-I-R-T-Y ! Y-E-A-R-S!!!

StarRobot3.jpg

StarRobot4.jpg

Some small differences between the old and new version. Notice the white knobs.
Also the new bot has 3 small screws. One in the middle of the heads back. Two near the legs.
Tomy made complete new forms of the bot. Caution: some bots are bad walkers.
The question is: Are they copies, retros or what?

StarRobot5.jpg

laugh.gif What a topsyturvydom laugh.gif
Blechroboter.de

Es kracht und zischt, der Roboter macht nischt. Er kam vom Mars, und das warīs!

#2 dratomic

dratomic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,304 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 06:52 PM

I used to have some of these as a kid -- I feel like they've always been around. They're neat little robots, that's for sure. I love the new blue ones...

I don't think they're reproductions or anything like that. They never really seemed to go out of production, so I think they're just part of a loooooong line of Tomy robots. They'll probably be made right up until the day the world ends. smile.gif

Nice photos, Klaus!

Brian
Click to read my vintage space toy blog. It's fun!
newlogoSMALL.jpg

#3 plasticaugie

plasticaugie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:29 PM

These are great little robots. I have collected a pile over the years and from all the robots that I had as a child the only one that has survived to this day intact in my collection is my original Tomy rascal robot. It is made in Japan and has a body mold that is completely different from the the Taiwan, Chinese, and USA versions that followed. The Japanese one's white knob actually penetrates into the body shell, the dome is slightly smaller and there are other subtle differences. It is marked 1977 Japan. Compare it with the 1977 Taiwan version in the first picture.

The second pic shows the foot stampings of the Japan version, Taiwan, and USA. I like to think that the USA version was actually made in the states.

The third pic shows the second generation Chinese versions. The first came glued togeter but the newer Chinese bots were assembled with screws so all you need to do is pop off the dome and then you can make the front row robots which allows you to make the total chrome and gold robots with the clear dome (see pic 4).

The newest one is not really made by Tomy, it can be found in party and gift shops in the bins of wind-up animals and vehicles. This blue robot is marked licensed by Tomy (pic 5).

Two of my favorites are the white plastic and gray plastic versions. These came out during the 80's along with dingbot, omnibot etc. These are in the top left corner of my family shot, the gray one is carded (pic 6).

There are other versions out there and I think I have had some from Singapore at some time, and oh yeah, there is a black bodied one with orange accents that I don't have yet.

Attached Images

• 014.JPG
  • 016.JPG
  • 018.JPG
  • 019.JPG
  • 020.JPG
  • 013.JPG

Edited by plasticaugie, 02 November 2008 - 11:53 PM.

Tom

#4 robothut

robothut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,849 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 06:59 PM

Back in the early 1970s when I first saw these they were sold as POCKET BOTS, there was no packaging , they were in a display card box and for sale in most all small shops. I still have a large collection of these includeing the very first versions that look very different. I will try and take some pictures and post for you all to view.
Visit the Robot Hut Museum
http://www.robothut.robotnut.com
John R.

#5 plasticaugie

plasticaugie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 07:27 PM

QUOTE(robothut @ Nov 3 2008, 01:59 PM) View Post
Back in the early 1970s when I first saw these they were sold as POCKET BOTS, there was no packaging , they were in a display card box and for sale in most all small shops. I still have a large collection of these includeing the very first versions that look very different. I will try and take some pictures and post for you all to view.

The grey one I have that is carded is marked pocket bots. Let's see the robothut's collection of these little guys. smile.gif
Tom

#6 gernot

gernot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 11:49 PM

...and here you go !

The small tiny robots getting more and more attention here on the board.

All or most of the the "big" robots are known, cataloged and priced.

The world of small robots is still a wide open field where you still can find new items or versions or variations you have never before recognized.

Sometimes is the little things in life, that counts (too).

More, more please !

Edited by gernot, 03 November 2008 - 11:50 PM.

Gernot
from Germany

#7 plasticaugie

plasticaugie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 02:03 AM

I took the pocket bots out again to compare the japan version with the newer ones and much to my shock my original one would not walk. So it was time to open him up. I was worried that he may have been glued together, it was not, it was just snapped with the dome securing both body shells. So I took one of the new ones to compare inside and out. If you look at the motor the old one has two orange wheels which fit in the leg holes (also look at the brass parts too). One of these was out of alignment so all I had to do was reset it. Look at the faces of these guys, the left side is the Japan version look closely and you will see differences like the three bars between the eyes. Lastly here is a better pic of how the knob penetrates the body.

Attached Images

• 001.JPG
  • 002.JPG
  • 003.JPG
  • 004.JPG

Tom

#8 robothut

robothut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,849 posts