6 replies to this topic

#1 Tinman

Tinman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 11:13 PM

This ultra-rare "Pyrotomic Energizer" came up for auction this past week, and for historical reasons, ended with a closing bid of $160.00. A super price for the winner!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/...id=p3286.c0.m14

I've been wanting to collect this car as well as it's companion piece, the "Pyrotomic Fire Control" but my hobby finances were caught off guard and to tell the truth, I was also a little put off by the silver paint, not knowing if it was factory applied or not. The only other examples of this car I've seen, including the ones shown in Blast Off, were unpainted.

Attached Images

• b127_1.jpg
  • b4fb_1.jpg
  • bcd1_1.jpg
  • c294_1.jpg

Edited by Tinman93, 15 September 2008 - 11:14 PM.

Bill P.

#2 Phil R

Phil R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,526 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:08 PM

Yes, Bill, that was a nice one. I think the paint must be original. I don't see any reason why anyone would have painted it like that. By the way, I just bought a great book on plastic toys with a 17 page chapter on space toys. PLASTIC TOYS by Bill Hanlon. smile.gif
Phil Redman, York, PA

#3 Andyman

Andyman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:51 PM

I love that design. I wish somebody would make an all out diecast version of it complete with innards.

#4 Blechroboter

Blechroboter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:47 PM

I watched that auction too. You´re right Andyman. Those space toys are simply amazing. A new release of that kind would be a fine idea.

600_safe.jpg
Blechroboter.de

Es kracht und zischt, der Roboter macht nischt. Er kam vom Mars, und das war´s!

#5 Fineas J. Whoopie

Fineas J. Whoopie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,496 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:10 PM

That is an amazing piece. I agree with Phil - my gut says that paint is original.

Donald Conner
Cannon Beach, OR

#6 Brian..

Brian..

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,195 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 07:26 PM

Here's an English Kleeware version of the Energizer. A more familiar silver plastic:

Attached Images

• SDC10807.JPG
  • SDC10806.JPG

Brian Hayes

#7 ANZinSpace

ANZinSpace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:17 AM

Here's an English Kleeware version of the Energizer. A more familiar silver plastic:

I may have a dating for the Kleeware version of this toy. Admittedly no picture to confirm but the use of the words plastic, space, fire control and energiser seems to suggest this and it's brother are the intended toys. It's unlikely to refer to the original Pyro versions as Australia had major import restrictions at the time which precluded a lot of countries from selling goods here because they were outside the "stirling" bloc.

The dating is 17 December 1953 from the Morning Bulletin newspaper.

1953 12 17 Morning Bulletiin closeup.jpg