Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Twilight Zone

25 posts in this topic

Posted

Last night I'm watching the twilight zone and I damn near choke on my chicken wing when all of a sudden there is the Robby space transport. My son who had gone to bed and I though was asleep comes running downstairs. Dad ,did you see that ? I have never seen that episode. I know most of you guys know all about it,but maybe someone hasn't seen it. Here is the link. Read the trivia portion of the article. Does the transport still exist?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rip_Van_Winkle_Caper

‚Äč

Posted (edited)

Most of the Props on Forbidden Planet were used on Twilight Zone. They had access to

the MGM back lot.

post-27-1185592210.jpg

Edited by SH MIKE

Posted

Bill Malone has the original sled and original Robby suit, he bought both at auction in the 1970's...MGM apparently told him if he bought the 'bot he had to take the jeep! John Rigg knows all the details.

Posted

Yes this topic has been covered in detail before on the drome, so ask Mr. Memory (Joe K.) to find the link for the topic. But the long and short of it is that Bill Malone does have the origional Jeep and Robby. When he got the jeep it was still modified for the T ZOne show, he took off the modifications. The origional seets were gone as were the dish winsheilds. but Fred Barton also a fre kid freind of Bills had as a youth slipped in to the MGM back lot just before they bulldozed all the stuff down and grabed the origional Jeep windsheild domes so now the origional domes are back on the jeep. The motorized front end had also been removed (it was built to be removed) and used on some other movie prop so the origional electric front wheel drive and electric sterring unit is gone as well. The jeep could use some minor repairs in places but other wise is in very good shape. I think the Old post will have some pictures I took of the jeep as it looks today.

Posted

Here are a few more TZ episodes that utilize FP props:

"Third From The Sun" (With all-out nuclear war about to ignite, a scientist and his pilot friend plot to escape on an experimental spaceship.) That ship was the saucer from Forbidden Planet, including the control console set. Only used in the last few minutes of the episode, it was still nice to see again.

The boarding ramp set also is used in "To Serve Man" (The Kanamits, 9 foot tall aliens, arrive on Earth with one lofty goal: To Serve Man).

The scale model saucer is used in "The Invaders" (An old woman in an isolated farmhouse encounters tiny, hostile aliens).

The FP saucer is used, still again, in "Death Ship" (A three-man spacecraft lands on a planet only to discover the wreckage of a spacecraft identical to their own. Two of the crew are convinced that they are dead, but the captain refuses to see the truth).

Modified versions of the Robby costume turn up in "Uncle Simon" (Uncle Simon tries to strike Barbara with his cane. She grabs it and he falls down the stairs to his death. His will stipulates that she must care for his latest invention - a robot. The robot begins to take on Uncle Simon's traits. Barbara finally pushes it down the stairs, but that only gives it a limp identical to Uncle Simon's. She finally realizes that she will never be rid of Uncle Simon)

and "The Brain Center at Whipple's" (A factory CEO replaces human workers with machines).

Posted

John:

I have a question if you don't mind. A lot of us know you through your work, but we don't know John. Has your vocation always been designing and building robots and props ? If this is too personal of a question,,,,,disregard. :)

Posted (edited)

Joe do not forget Hocus Pocus and Frisby T Z 1962 you get to see the out side of the ship and landing gear and even some inside shots.

Eagle, well lets see, I was wireing 120 volt AC circuits when I was 5 years old un assitied, then moved on to audio electronics at 7 years old, I won every science fair I have ever entered as a kid, I was so bored at school and was not interested in what they were teaching that they brought in a special guy to test me to see if I was dumb or just a smart a-hole, they decided I was a smart A-hole and held me back 1 year to teach me a lesson. That would have been first grade when I first experienced mans inhumanity to man. I then moved on to sculpture and music and kept up with the electronics. When I graduated from high school I found that there were no schools "at the time that I could afford" that could teach me more about electronics than I already knew, so I played rock and roll for a few years building custom audio and lighting equipment as well as recording studio gear. I checked back with my freinds that did go to collage for eletronics and found they still did not know as much as me and they were all haveing a heck of a time finding work that payed much more than minium wage. So I contacted a company in Seattle that had to do with music, recording studios, high speed tape duplication, audio gear and sold them on my skills. "To test me they put me in a room with a big pile of dead power amps, audio mixers and old tape decks to see if I could fix them. After I was don they told we they did not need that old junk and it was just a test"I was there head engineer for 18 years designing every type of electronic gear you can think of. As a hobby to keep from going mad from the stress of the job I would go to swap meets on the weekends and started collecting robots, trying to find the ones I had as a kid. This led to building robots. I started with robby, my first one was crap but I used it to meet Bill Malone and that lead to propper information on robby what new skills I would need to learn to make a proper robby and it also led too me doing special projects for Bill to use in some of his movie/cable shows, it also led to me meeting with other special effects guys and getting to do work on other TV shows. So long story short, I am now an old man who has forgotten most of what I once knew, but I like to think I still know more than most people (ego is the last thing to go you know) so I am just a robot collector who likes to build custom robots from time to time, I turn down the offers to make movie props these days as its just more work than I want to do in the short amount of time they give you at this time in my life (turned down a robot prop job just last DEC as it is a real bitch to work out in the shop when its way below freezing) :blush:

Edited by robothut

Posted

Great story John.......reminds me of the Frank Sinatra song...I did it my way!

Congrats on your success......Mark (nasa)

Posted (edited)

Now that was just the type of reply I was hoping for. A rogue, anti establishment,screw you all,inventor ! Oh yeah ! I hated school , just hated it ! I remember ............this is going to knock this thread right into the off topic location. Do you expext anything less? I remember in Physics class we were creating Oxygen and Hydrogen using the old tried and true "H" tube. To make thing interesting, the teacher said there would be a competiton at the end of the day. We would take our Hydrogen, collect it in a test tube with a thistle tube on the end with a rubber stopper. Go out to the football field and everyone light of their test tube. The stopper that went the farthest was the winner. Well at that time I was experimenting with NO2 at the drag strip in York. [Remember Phil] US 30 dragstrip...Big Daddy,Sox and Martin.......The Snake. I figured my stopper would go one hell of a lot further if I mixed some pure oxygen in that test tube. When my time came and I lit that bad boy off the stopper transversed the width of the football field and bounced off the library window. With a smile I turned to Mr Weaks. With a scowl on his face he mumbled every once in awhile there is wise ass that thinks I'm stupid. Disqualified ! I liked Mr Weaks. He was the only good teacher I ever had. I Became what I am despite the public schools. Great story John. Thank You Sir ! Ok back outside. Still lots to do tonight.

Edited by Eagle

Posted

I was about to start a new thread about Twilight zone eps that had Forbidden Planet props in them, but a search revealed one already, so I'll just add to this. The only thing I ever watch on SyFy anymore is when they do a Twilight Zone marathon, as they did over New Years. I saw the uniform, the ray guns, the C57D saucer and the Robby jeep. The instruments from the Krell lab I saw used inside of spaceships a few times.

post-704-1262450024.png

Posted

I just watched that episode too. I don't know if I'd ever seen it before. I was surprised to see the Forbidden Planet saucer. Is that the size it would have been in the movie? Where were those little spacemen from? Were they a modified toy? They looked so lame! It was hard to buy the ending when the "spacemen" walked like toys. The pacing was so glaciel I started to look forward to the commercial breaks. I hadn't seen any Twilight Zones in years. Were they often that slow?

Posted

Sometimes David it's best not to look back.

Memories can often be dashed .

Posted (edited)

Where were those little spacemen from? Were they a modified toy? They looked so lame! It was hard to buy the ending when the "spacemen" walked like toys. The pacing was so glaciel I started to look forward to the commercial breaks. I hadn't seen any Twilight Zones in years. Were they often that slow?

You mean these guys?

I think they look swell. I've always liked that episode solely because you can see the 4 foot C57D saucer next to a person for scale. The story does drag a bit by modern standards. It was the only episode filmed completely without dialogue. I always thought it a hoot when Agnes Moorehead whacks the one spaceman in her pillow case repeatedly against the bed frame....poor cuss.

In Filmfax Magazine #119, Del Reisman, the writer of that episode said " The only concern I have looking back is that now you can see the little men are mechanical objects (specially designed hand puppets). We didn't have the great special effects back then. That might seem a little askew now, but I thought the story itself was teriffic."

I also thought it a hoot the appearance of their ray guns....kind of, well, OK really look like, er...um....a personal massage device. And the bobblehead version is comin' at you with two of 'em!

To get the thread back on track, just watched the episode Hocus Pocus and Frisby and saw the exterior of the C57D saucer and the astrogator. The inside ship looks familiar too, might be a portion of the C57 interior set.......

post-704-1262464572.jpg

Edited by SarasotaRobby