24 replies to this topic

#1 Eagle

Eagle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 04:33 PM

Last night I'm watching the twilight zone and I damn near choke on my chicken wing when all of a sudden there is the Robby space transport. My son who had gone to bed and I though was asleep comes running downstairs. Dad ,did you see that ? I have never seen that episode. I know most of you guys know all about it,but maybe someone hasn't seen it. Here is the link. Read the trivia portion of the article. Does the transport still exist?

http://en.wikipedia....an_Winkle_Caper

#2 SH MIKE

SH MIKE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 03:10 AM

Most of the Props on Forbidden Planet were used on Twilight Zone. They had access to
the MGM back lot.

Attached Images

• Spacesled2.jpg

Edited by SH MIKE, 28 July 2007 - 03:31 AM.

#3 Morbius

Morbius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,700 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 03:29 AM

Bill Malone has the original sled and original Robby suit, he bought both at auction in the 1970's...MGM apparently told him if he bought the 'bot he had to take the jeep! John Rigg knows all the details.

Michael D. Le Blanc

Sanity is the playground of the unimaginative.

#4 SH MIKE

SH MIKE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 03:34 AM

Here's a good start:

http://www.monsters4...billmalone.html

Attached Images

• Robby_Postcard.jpg

#5 robothut

robothut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,965 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 04:38 PM

Yes this topic has been covered in detail before on the drome, so ask Mr. Memory (Joe K.) to find the link for the topic. But the long and short of it is that Bill Malone does have the origional Jeep and Robby. When he got the jeep it was still modified for the T ZOne show, he took off the modifications. The origional seets were gone as were the dish winsheilds. but Fred Barton also a fre kid freind of Bills had as a youth slipped in to the MGM back lot just before they bulldozed all the stuff down and grabed the origional Jeep windsheild domes so now the origional domes are back on the jeep. The motorized front end had also been removed (it was built to be removed) and used on some other movie prop so the origional electric front wheel drive and electric sterring unit is gone as well. The jeep could use some minor repairs in places but other wise is in very good shape. I think the Old post will have some pictures I took of the jeep as it looks today.
Visit the Robot Hut Museum
http://www.robothut.robotnut.com
John R.

#6 Fineas J. Whoopie

Fineas J. Whoopie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,545 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 05:02 PM

QUOTE(robothut @ Jul 28 2007, 09:38 AM) View Post
I think the Old post will have some pictures I took of the jeep as it looks today.

John - is this the thread?

http://danefield.com...h...003&hl=sled

Donald Conner
Cannon Beach, OR

#7 Joe K.

Joe K.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,927 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 07:59 PM

Here are a few more TZ episodes that utilize FP props:

"Third From The Sun" (With all-out nuclear war about to ignite, a scientist and his pilot friend plot to escape on an experimental spaceship.) That ship was the saucer from Forbidden Planet, including the control console set. Only used in the last few minutes of the episode, it was still nice to see again.

The boarding ramp set also is used in "To Serve Man" (The Kanamits, 9 foot tall aliens, arrive on Earth with one lofty goal: To Serve Man).

The scale model saucer is used in "The Invaders" (An old woman in an isolated farmhouse encounters tiny, hostile aliens).

The FP saucer is used, still again, in "Death Ship" (A three-man spacecraft lands on a planet only to discover the wreckage of a spacecraft identical to their own. Two of the crew are convinced that they are dead, but the captain refuses to see the truth).

Modified versions of the Robby costume turn up in "Uncle Simon" (Uncle Simon tries to strike Barbara with his cane. She grabs it and he falls down the stairs to his death. His will stipulates that she must care for his latest invention - a robot. The robot begins to take on Uncle Simon's traits. Barbara finally pushes it down the stairs, but that only gives it a limp identical to Uncle Simon's. She finally realizes that she will never be rid of Uncle Simon)

and "The Brain Center at Whipple's" (A factory CEO replaces human workers with machines).

Joe Knedlhans - Owner/Curator
The Toy Robot Museum @ Stoudtburg Village
Adamstown, Pennsylvania

#8 Eagle

Eagle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 09:24 PM

John:
I have a question if you don't mind. A lot of us know you through your work, but we don't know John. Has your vocation always been designing and building robots and props ? If this is too personal of a question,,,,,disregard. smile.gif