Sign in to follow this  
Kanaan

Farpoint 25 SF Convention & Short Story Award

Kanaan

Last weekend, the Farpoint SF convention held its 25th anniversary gathering in Hunt Valley, MD with actor guests Matt Frewer (Max Headroom, Eureka, Orphan Black, Timeless, Watchmen), Nana Visitor (Deep Space Nine), Nora McLellan (Killjoys) and about 25 author guests, myself included.  As part of their anniversary celebration, the convention sponsored a short story contest. Entries were due in January and every convention attendee was eligible to vote. The stories were posted online before and during the convention and I was thrilled to take second place! 

You can read a quick recap of the convention on my blog, but I covered only a fraction of what happens at these cons. There are discussion panels about all aspects of writing as well as genre TV shows and movies, a masquerade competition, actor Q&A sessions, musical performances, autograph sessions with actors and authors, and more. 

The next big one for me is Shore Leave in July, at the same exact hotel in Maryland. The convention will celebrate their 40th anniversary with the return of William Shatner as well as first time actor guests Shawn Ashmore (X-Men movies), Ming-Na Wen (Agents of SHIELD, Stargate Universe), Allison Scagliotti (Warehouse 13), Chase Masterson (Deep Space Nine), Aron Eisenberg (Deep Space Nine), Melissa O'Neil (Dark Matter), Alex Mallari, Jr. (Dark Matter), and a ton more author and science guests. 

This year also happens to mark the 25th anniversary of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine so members of the cast are making the rounds on the convention circuit. 

Short Story Award.jpg

Roboto

Congratulations on your award.  :thumbs: