Sign in to follow this  
Tinplate6

Marx Rocket-Plane

Tinplate6

I have always liked the design of this toy, but I never owned one, because they are often broken, and missing the satellite. But, I finally managed to track down a near-mint example. I fudged the name of the toy, as I have no idea what it was actually called...I'm sure someone knows.

A6707715-F279-4AD1-8CFA-BB994F7E4D9F.jpeg702344D4-50F5-4B1D-B0A5-66070D1B97B1.jpeg

It measures a respectable 12 inches long! This is made from hard plastic, and spray painted with silver accents. There is not an ounce of rust on this toy, amazing for its age.

A13879A7-6572-45F0-A187-497EDF6B8610.jpegDADC25FD-D33E-4151-BE28-FC44BE8423DC.jpeg

It is a simple friction/flywheel drive, and if revved up enough, when it gets going, the spinning satellite will launch itself out of momentum (it only rests lightly on two horn like protrusions on the top). It's a very cool retro space toy.

IMG_0416.jpg

Brian..

It's called the Solar Rocket, Brady.

Tinplate6

Thanks Brian for the name.

Joe, interesting; the box shows a clear red window at the rear for sparkling effects. However, on mine, this has been replaced by a solid plastic plate that fits the original space. Mine must be a later version after that feature was removed.

Tinplate6

Joe, this does not look like a red gel window either, it also seems to be a solid piece of plastic. Was this artistic license, or possibly a feature of the prototype that did not  see production? Does anybody  have one with the gel window to confirm this?

Tinman

Nice piece Brady!  Good to see you back in the game, you've been quiet for a while.

Tinplate6

Me? Quiet? That's the first time I've heard that.

However, I appreciate the concern, Bill. No, just laying low until I had something worth posting.