Sign in to follow this  
Ranger

Ha Ha Space Trooper, well made.

Ranger

I didn’t need this space trooper but won it on eBay for under £4 as it was overwound and I wanted to try and fix it. 🙄. I have a few of the tin tom ones but have never taken one apart or had reason to. Anyway, the cheapy non runner came this morning. I took it apart and the body is not at all flimsy. No plastic cogs inside at all. In all it’s surprisingly well made.  The only plastic parts are the wheels. I fixed it in about 15 minutes (what took me so long. 😂)

Just a few photos of the insides that someone may find useful though they are most likely already on alpha somewhere. Now it’s it’s working I will bung it in a box for the next car boot sale!

8DA3049D-3282-4EA9-B702-5D7EF4EA9E73.jpeg

96497498-C2EF-4FEA-8B11-2217C386E28A.jpeg

DF3B7F9A-034C-4B9D-88B3-6EF738D7189F.jpeg

36FAEED9-BD11-459E-9029-0991E2E6587C.jpeg

3FBB4E91-5730-4BE5-AA6B-BE62C8758C75.jpeg

robothut

I remember Tom of Tin Tom Toys was so proud of the push and turn crank action back when the toy came out.

Fineas J. Whoopie

I remember when the only ones were the original Tin Tom Toys produced examples and then the Chinese (HAHA?) ones were about to flood the market and the price came down. I remember thinking the price coming down to $40 was a deal. For those who weren't around then there was a big scandal about TTT's molds being stolen or otherwise nefariously making there way to Chinese toy makers who flooded the repro market and brought prices way down. As I remember it there was speculation that Tom's girlfriend had absconded with the molds and sold Tom out...... or something like that.  This rumor was supported by the fact that the first HAHA robots were exactly what TTT had just done.

Nice Job Ranger. There is lots of satisfaction in fixing these toys! 

David Kirk

So, is the current theory that HaHa is Tin Tom girlfriend? I recall the crappy Thunder robot first made from the Tin Tom molds. If it's the same people, they got much better. Anybody know what Tom is up to? Anyone ever figure out who Planet toys was? I am amazed that Winky and Zoomer didn't get picked up by anyone else after they disappeared.

robert

Yea, I am still kicking myself that I never got any of the Planet Zoomers. They looked so well made but were extremely pricey at the time. I never thought they would go under so quickly as they were turning out some very fine toys in limited editions on the colors. And their website promised a lot of upcoming cool reproductions. They seemed to have kept their word - we never saw the market flooded with cheap Zoomers. I kept thinking they would be hijacked and those same robots would come out at 1/3 of that price, just like Thunders, Planet Robots, Sparkys, etc. But it never happened. We never even got a Radar Robot reboot. Oh well...

Fineas J. Whoopie
2 hours ago, David Kirk said:

So, is the current theory that HaHa is Tin Tom girlfriend? I recall the crappy Thunder robot first made from the Tin Tom molds. If it's the same people, they got much better. Anybody know what Tom is up to? Anyone ever figure out who Planet toys was? I am amazed that Winky and Zoomer didn't get picked up by anyone else after they disappeared.

I'm under the impression the story is Toms girlfriend stole and sold the molds.* I thought Robert Johnson was instrumental  in starting HAHA. 

As for Planet Robot, I think they sort of proved that it's hard to stay above water when you are offering very high quality (sad but maybe true). I think no one ran with their molds after they folded because well....when PR tried it they lost money! 

*I'm very against believing something just because you read it on the internet so it's important to be clear this is all just rumor as far as I know.

David Kirk

So no new info on Planet? Somebody had to have run it. I recall it seemed they were a bit secretive at the time.  I kick myself for not getting a red and green Christmas version. I got the whole set of the rest and they are all beautiful. I always find it odd that Chinese companies can manage to make robots that work well for $10 when the new $1000 robots Japanese companies make last only a few years. Seeing the link below I wonder now if I missed some other versions. 

Martian Gil

Great pics Paul!   Great bargain, and like you say - very well built!   

Ranger

👍🤖😀

Jonydroid

There are good well made Ha Ha Toys like the Smoking Spaceman Robot too,

there are no plastic gears inside as well, and the tin plate is also strong, after i open 2 of them they are working fine now, and the third one is working really good, so yes nice purchase Paul and fix. :thumbs:

cheers