Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sparkrobot

So wrong it's good

23 posts in this topic

At that price it might be cool to motorize one.

10 minutes ago, Dirk said:

...and a Joe Frazier nose! :thumbs:

Ha brilliant :biggrin:

3 minutes ago, robothut said:

At that price it might be cool to motorize one.

John I actually thought of you and your ingenuity when I first saw him.

They must sell them in the USA

Do you have a TK Maxx they sell loads of that Indian stuff.

Don't know how to search for him online.

TK Maxx stores are operated throughout the United Kingdom, Australia, Ireland, Germany, Poland, Austria and the Netherlands, totalling 515 stores in Europe (up from 407 in December 2014) and 35 in Australia in April 2017

John how about the USA ?

I think that's where you would find one of these cheapo static tin robots.

I for one would love to see you work your magic on one of them. :hail:

Maybe at Hobby lobby, I will have a look but other than that looks like the this tin is for the rest of the world and not us. But I will have a look around. Some one find them on line, that's the way too go.

I remember seeing these in different styles every now and then over the last few years being sold in shops that have more to do with interior decor rather than toy shops and passed them by thinking they looked a bit too crude also non functional, and with hindsight I should have at least taken a photo of the last one I saw in a shop at Boston, UK. I've been trying to find them on the internet using all manner of search criteria and come up with a zero, apart from the very same robot Spark has brought to our attention being sold in a shop dealing with interior design and decor near Stamford in the UK - Smithers of Stamford, £31.50 so a lot more expensive. I can only think they are made in small batches. Now I will be checking out every shop which sells odd items to see if any more exist. Here is the photo of the one at Smithers, as said the same design. 

And just as a matter of interest I assume we have all seen the cars, motorbikes and aeroplanes all made in a similar way not quite accurate and a bit crude but with some charm, handmade & handpainted.

robbie-the-retro-robot tin.jpg

MRH

Exactly what you say.

The TK Maxx reference is more about the selling of crude versions of made in India VW's, Motorbikes and steam trains but I am sure the robot would be by the same manufacturer/exporter.

I gave John a bit of a bum steer as I'm not sure if that particular store sells the robot in question.

The one I spotted was in a small furniture store and was definitely only just over £20 .

Like yourself I will now look out for other styles of these robots as even though like the cars and such they are so Inaccurate I feel they do have a charm and could be converted.

BTW Look back at my pic and you will see in the background a crude version of a streamliner caravan made by the same company.