The Toyman

Plastic legs on Alps television Spaceman??

15 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,  I saw this Television Spaceman for sale,  big money but then I noticed the legs were plastic?  Is this unusual??? 

IMG_20170517_134321.jpg

Hey Noel good to see you posting.

Plastic legs are correct for second gen Alps TV Spaceman.

CORRECTION - there are actually three versions and the plastic legs apparently are correct for the third version

From the database -

The third version, appearing in the 1966's Montgomery Ward Catalog, has a large, round red plastic antenna. A larger TV screen has been added and the hands have changed from "U" to "C" shape. Most significantly the legs have become made of a soft plastic.

I have one I got mint in the box that has the red dish antenna, a plastic battery cover and upper feet, but metal legs and the old style U hands. They must have made all sorts of combinations depending on what they had left. In your picture it looks as though even the body could be plastic. Did that ever happen?

There isn't a confirmed plastic bodied version.

1 hour ago, Brian.. said:

There isn't a confirmed plastic bodied version.

not yet ! :-) heheheheh

Hey thanks guys. I have two first versions,  but of all the times I've  seen the later versions,  I've never noticed the plastic legs! 

IMG_20170517_134302.jpg

The legs are a BLOW MOLD 1 part plastic, they are a non load bearing cosmetic sleeve, that does make them kind of special in the robot tin world.

Are those legs functional--I mean, does the robot operate normally like the metal legged versions or are they just for static display of the piece ???

The legs function normally. As John said, even on the metal legged versions the metal does not support the weight of the robot. Its the internal walking mechanism that supports the weight. Both metal and plastic leg coverings are just cosmetic shrouds.

That info on the legs having an internal mechanism is new to me. I love learning new things about my favorite bots!

Really cool !!!

Plastic legs, feet, battery door and antenna are correct for the later 2nd version. There are also some "in between" versions existing.

Pair 131.JPG

I love the design of that robot---one of my favorites !!!

Amazing, all these years and not knowing this! Now I feel I should have this later version.....just need to see if he'll halve the price! 

Amazing, all these years and not knowing this! Now I feel I should have this later version.....just need to see if he'll halve the price!