Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sparkrobot

Robot kits... Show your best... Educate me.

33 posts in this topic

OK. Robot kits. I know nothing, except there are certain one's I love.

Now this is where I need educating.

I'm not talking about rarity or value just about what designs you own, aspire to own or just think it is worth sharing a picture showing off it's great design.

Personally I am not into the shogun type/transformer shape.

I suppose without knowing the different style names it will be hard to eliminate all the styles I don't like.

Also as a predominantly classic robot shape enthusiast I will need a lot of convincing on some choices.

The one's I have stumbled on whilst surfing the internet are in my mind worthy of any collection.

My post's tend to stir/split opinion so can we please just try and keep it fun.

I know there will be some out there that will love the shogun/anime/gundam ( see I said I need educating) or whatever you call them, but would love to see as many 'classic robot' inspired kits as possible.

Here's a few that caught my eye, some definitely classic some borderline.

Feel free to add your pics and explain to me what you love about them.

komatsuzaki_14_large.jpg

chuka_cannon.jpg

komatsuzaki_11_large.jpg

d42558824c37cc7343c4202be7a75d59.jpg

NoveLaser.JPG

NoveCannon.JPG

4525241131_2908530412_b.jpg

Doldian.jpg

"Once Upon A Time":)  Yes i like the classics as well!  PS You really need to read Japanese.

DSCN1370.JPG

The only one I own is an IMAI V-3 robot. This was a re-issue kit I bought in the 1990's, while I was in Japan; it is a pin-walker, with swinging arms and light up eyes. I built  this one up myself. 

s-l500.jpg

IMG_1999.JPG

IMG_2001.JPG

IMG_2002.JPG

IMG_2003.JPG

Tinluver and Tinplate

Now that's what I'm talking about.

I would be proud to own any of those you have shown.

Tinluver

Interesting to see you don't build your kits.

Purely your choice although myself I think temptation would get the better of me.:blush:

:biggrin:

I love these designs.

More please.:cheers:

The topic of building classic mint kits is quite the polarizing topic; you are either for, or against it, there is no middle ground. I see the point of mint in the box, but a great unbuilt robot in a box, is just a bunch of parts, in my opinion. Assuming I could afford an original Kogure or Bandai kit, I'd have to build it up to appreciate the artistry of these classic pieces. I strive to copy the original box art as close as possible when building/painting a kit; like the V-3, the exact color, and the rusted bolts just gives it that authentic manga feel.

Yep, no middle ground. Building a kit destroys it. An unbuilt kit is forever a possibility.

Look hard enough and you'll find a built up version, usually for a fraction of the price of an unbuilt kit. The price drop tells you everything. My brother was a fanatical collector of early kits and we rehearsed the arguments for and against long into the night.

The one exception to this rule may be the Missler or Captain Patrol. This kit even when built demands high prices.

Personally If I wanted a built up version it would have to be my own.

In my opinion the satisfaction of making a fine model is the appeal of owning a kit.

For this thread to succeed without debate/argument we will in this case have to accept both points of view.

Yup, just like religion and politics, it's a topic you never discuss.

There at least two books on the subject. I have one that I can't even tell you the name of (or even google it) because it's all in Japanese but it has wonderful pictures.

And this one -

Unless you can read Japanese I don't think these books would teach you much other than getting to see what exists.

Fin do you own any robot kits?

Like the Avengers  Assembled

DSC06632.JPG

& if I can just go through that ferslugginer hole

Yet to be assembled

DSC06624.JPG

Cheers.....the night of the posting geek

No Spark I don't own one and never have unfortunately. I do find some of them very desirable like the Missler and the Manmos King. The book also has some of the best Japanese box art in it's original state before the writing was added.

001.JPG

002.JPG

Fin, do you mean this amazing slipcase book?

IMG_2005.JPG

Yes, it's an incredible resource.

IMG_2006.JPG

Can you believe this kit was originally the equivalent of $4?!

IMG_2007.JPG