maimo65

Tom Corbett Space Cadet Rifle

21 posts in this topic

I bought in a flea market in Mexico this Tom corbett Space Cadet Rifle that I think is made by Plastimarx in Mexico in the 50's. (I have seen this model only in the Museo del Juguete Antiguo- Antique Toy Museum-in Mexico City).

The mold I supposed is the same from Marx Toys, but don't have the embossed mark in his place and doesn't have the painted letters in red like the Marx model.

Plastimarx was a toy factory that was a licenced by Louis Marx & Co. in Mexico to made and sale a lot of Marx Toys since the early 50's to the late 70's.

I think the oldest toys from this factory (50's) doesn't had the Plastimarx mark embossed, later toys have it.

It's a beautiful toy, plenty of 50's style

dos.jpg

tres.jpg

uno.jpg

Great find, Maimo. There are some lovely pieces in Mexico. Time for someone to pull together all the information on all those Mexican space toys.

Thanks Brian, I'll do the work, in what i have so far.

Is there a visible difference between the Mexican Made Plastimarx version and the regular American made version?

It doesn't surprise me if there is no difference because we have discussed another ray gun, the Planet Jet, that was produced in Mexico but was exactly like it's American Made counterparts as far as the molds and the wording go. They even have "USA" embossed on the handle. I would think that the cheapest process for an American toy to be produced in Mexico (or any other place for that matter) would be just to ship the molds and not to have them altered at all. That would explain a toy being produced in Mexico for the Mexican market having English script.

Yes Fineas, that was the story, I made a research and the first name for the company was Juguetes Marx, (Marx Toys), licenced for produced the Marx toys from 1952 to 1957.

Then, they changed the name of the company for Plastimarx S.A. de C.V. from 1957 to 1979.

I'm pretty sure that they had the same molds with small variations (like the logo embossed).

This is the Plastimarx Pistola Atómica.

PistolaAtomica.jpg

So you know it's a Plastimarx because of the packaging? Is there any way to tell it's a Plastimarx example by just looking at the toy?

For instance you can tell a Mexican Planet Jet because the cap matches the color of the rocket while American examples have the cap match the color of the trigger.

Not really, In the case of Plastimarx toys I think and is only a supposition that is the lack of the Marx mark embossed in the plastic.

But in the case of Planet Jet, I don't know, I never seeing one of that toy in person and only know the ones that time to time appears by the same mexican seller in ebay.

There are other ray guns made by mexican companies like CIPSA that made the mexican version of Palmer water pistol for example.

The image of the catalog is from 1963.

But I'v never seen any info about the Planet Jet ray gun 

Catalog.jpg

OK so no Marx logo. That makes sense. And I just noticed the Pistola Atomica doesn't have anything embossed on the handle either.

No logo, only the circle. Just like the Tom Corbett rifle, I think is the only difference.

IMG_2672.JPG

IMG_2673.JPG

The American made Atomic Pistols have lettering on the handle. There are at least two versions (maybe more) Tom Corbett and Rex Mars.

s-l400.jpg

Yes, in the Atomic Pistols is more clear the difference. :thumbs:

This is all really fascinating -- thanks for posting Maimo. 

Regarding the rifle: It looks like the knobs on the side are the same color as the rifle. On the U.S. version, the rifle comes in three colors -- silver, blue, or gold -- and the knobs never seem to match the body. (Which isn't to say they can't be swapped around.)

Fineas, there's also a Space Patrol version of the Atomic Pistol. 

Yes, and like the rifle, in the Plastimarx Atomic Pistol that I have seen, alway are only one color in all the gun

AtomicGun.jpg