Tinman

Mexican Plasticraft Spacemen

Tinman

Recently found these offerings from Mexico:

pc.jpg

Tinplate6

It never ceases to amaze me how many toy molds found their way south of the border. However, even though these are probably bootlegs, they really look good.

Tinman

Yeah, it'd be interesting to learn if the actual Plasticraft molds found their way south or these were produced by making molds of the original figures, either way they don't possess the quality of the originals.

DantheMan

A few of these have some obvious flashing on them.  They look interesting.   I have seen some Lido aliens(on ebay) by different sellers and they have some fuzz/flashing on them as well.  All my Lido figures are very clean, no flashing at all.   I wonder if the original Lido molds went south of the border?  Maybe they did and that may explain the flashing on some of the current auctions for Lido figures.  Anybody have any info/speculation? 

Tinman

We've discussed this for some time, it does appear a lot of molds have found their way to Mexico. We've seen the Archer Mars Men and Best Spacemen come up in recent years; IMO, the quality of the spacemen are too good to come from duplicated molds...they must have the originals.

DantheMan

I agree Tinman.  If the figures come from the original molds does this lessen the value(assuming the casting quality is identical)? 

Tinman

I strive to have vintage toys in my collection...but that's what I like.

Brian..
12 hours ago, DantheMan said:

If the figures come from the original molds does this lessen the value(assuming the casting quality is identical)? 

Yes, it has a significant effect on value.

DantheMan

I prefer vintage as well Tinman.

DantheMan

You are probably right Brian.