Sign in to follow this  
Tinman

Clear Plastic Premier Spacemen

Tinman

Doc Atomic recently contacted me regarding a couple clear plastic Premier spacemen he purchased, where the seller sold them as "mold purge" figures.  Questioning Doc I learned that clear plastic was often ran through the molds to clear/purge the previous color in preparation for a new color.  As a collector I know the clear Premier figures are fairly rare and his information may explain why; does anyone have record of the clear figures being sold as a set or part of a set?  I still have to go through my archived files but thought I'd put it out there for others to chime in.

Brian..

That makes sense: run transparent plastic through a mold to remove all trace of a previous color. A solid color would hide much of the earlier plastic and could lead to contamination for many subsequent pressings. I guess the company wouldn't dream of boxing up these shots to nothing. As waste, they might easily find their way out of the factory for the employees' kids. Fascinating.

Tinman

Well I looked through my files and didn't find anything new; "Blast-Off!" shows a clear example on page 103 but had no additional information.

dratomic

Brian -- Exactly. Opaque colors aren't really suitable for mold purges, though I HAVE heard of white being used. Which, I don't know, seems kind of risky for the same reasons. But clear was definitely the preferred color for exactly the reasons discussed. 

I haven't received the toys yet, so I haven't given them a really close look. But from the photos it seems like the color isn't evenly distributed like you'd find with intentionally translucent colored plastic. I think there's a lot of credence to the idea of them being mold purges.