Tinplate6

Gettin' Busy With Hong Kong Space Plastic

18 posts in this topic

Over the last few months I have managed to acquire a good many of the best space plastic toys Hong Kong had to offer, and I thought I'd share the group photos with you. I have added the following toys to my collection: The JR 21 Space Rocket Launcher, the X-40 Friction Drive Space Rocket, the X-30 Space Explorer, and the Astronaut, plus two other ships I'm not sure the name of, only marked No. 103 (similar to the X-30) and Roxy No. 888. (Very Buck Rogers-ish)

IMG_0156.jpgIMG_0157.jpgIMG_0158.jpg

It's tough to pick a favorite, but I'd have to say the Friction Astronaut; with the chrome antenna, and rocket pack, those green emerald eyes, and the two-fisted ray guns, make it very cool.

IMG_0164.jpgIMG_0163.jpg

I also got a few of the boxes, which is always a plus.

IMG_0162.jpg

The actions on these is pretty impressive for such small plastic toys...

The Rocket Launcher rolls along with spinning satellite, until it hits a wall, or object, that releases the rocket, which swings up into vertical launch position, then a plunger in the rear exhaust fires the spring-loaded red capsule into the air.

The X-40 Rocket is friction drive as well, and when the left and right fins are depressed, it launches the spring-loaded capsule rolling across the floor.

The X-30 Explorer has a rotating satellite while it rolls across the floor.

And while the Astronaut just rolls with a friction motor, it looks really cool "flying" across the floor!

I always though Hong Kong got it right with these toys, and I'm thrilled to have the chance to add them to my collection.

Super gets, Tp6!

I'm with you as far as the fav - Friction Astronaut is really fantastic. 

Thanks Gil.

A bit of interesting detail on the X-30 Explorer; there are two white plastic figures in the cockpit...I thought it was a pilot and co-pilot, but if you look closely, it's actually the pilot, and behind him is his dog! :eeek:  Seriously, no joke...it's a dog! 

IMG_0165.jpg

Very cool! That cockpit slides forward as well.Enjoy your cool toys

Thanks Tinluver2, I was unaware of that feature.

Wonderful pieces as always Brady; it's pretty easy to see the inspiration behind the Space Rocket Launching Truck!  BTW, things always seem cooler after you start collecting them!

Thanks Tinman, you are so right!

I'd always liked the Hong Kong pieces, but they seemed a bit pricey for their size. However, after I bought my first one at Botstock, from Big Bang, it was "game on"! They are just so retro, and colorful. The only drawback is; most are damaged in some way, because they are fragile, and the internal pieces break, this renders the actions, that made them so attractive in the first place, unwatchable.

What an excellent addition to your collection and the dog in the rear seat is so unique. :thumbs:

I love it  !  ' Plastic Fantastic '     congratulations

I have some of those, but the astronaut with ray guns is way cool!

I've always loved these toys, Brady, but have never had a chance to pick any up myself. The robot, in particular, is a great looking piece. Especially in red! Congrats on putting together a really nice collection! 

That Hong Kong plastic just gets better with age. Great collection, Brady.

There are still a few more pieces to be had, but they are rare and pricey.

Have you ever checked out the Project sword plastic Tinplate.

Take this rare beast for a starter.

rsz_project_sword_nuclear_ferry-736461.jpg