Tinplate6

Golgoth the Vega Robot

Tinplate6

I am quite fond of the space opera figures made by the Italian manufacturer, Atlantic, in the 70's, and this figure, although made by Atlantic, is not part of the Galaxie series. The Golgoth robot is from the Goldrake series of figures. The Planet Vega is the nemesis of the Shogun-like robot Goldrake. This figure, like the Galaxie series, is a toy/model kit, but unlike the Galaxie figures, you have to build this one yourself. 

image.jpeg

Honestly folks, this may be the toughest build, outside of Marco's Roboter kit! There are 42 pieces that come on the sprues, needed to build the 7 inch robot. These are PVC parts, not styrene. The model is designed as a snap together figure, with all parts molded in color. For this "glueless" assembly, all the pins have been designed with pressure rings on them, and require some serious pushing in order to get them locked in place. There are also two locking rings on the ankles that just don't want to snap into place! The joins are fairly close, but rarely perfect, and require careful trimming, as any flash can make connecting the pieces all the more difficult. The instructions are on the back of the box, as an exploded diagram with part numbers included. 

image.jpeg

The finished character has moveable arms, waist, head, and hands, as well as two missile ports on the chest, that release spring-loaded projectiles. I would guess it took me all of an hour, and twenty minutes, to get one of these together. The big problem is that if you drop, or knock over this piece, it will disassemble itself, and most likely break off the fragile antennae ( I had one of these years ago, and I'm speaking from experience, which is why I needed to build another one ).

image.jpeg

These are fairly common, and show up for sale regularly. There are other character kits in this series as well. I really like this robot!

image.jpeg

ervino

Hi Brady!

Nice catch! :thumbs:

FYI, in brief Atlantic publishd two series of figures and veichles fron the early anime of the late '70: Goldrake & Capitan Harlok (respectively Grendizer & Space Pirate Captain Harlock, for you folks of the American persusion... :biggrin: ) anime that in those years where all the rage on the Italian children television.

The Goldrake/Grendized series was composed by:

1) the Golgot of Vega robot you show;

2) a Goldrake/Grendizer robot in the same kind box kit of the Golgot one;

3) a (roughly) 1/32 scale box of spacemen for the Goldrake side;

4) a (roughly) 1/32 scale box of spacemen for the Vega side;

5) a vacuum-formed space-base (in the typical style of the Atlantic vacuum-formed playsets: giant & gorgeous but unplayable... :-)

The Space Pirate Captain Harlock series included:

1) a (roughly) 1/32 scale box of spacemen for the Harlock side;

2) a (roughly) 1/32 scale box of spacemen for the Queen Raflesia side;

3) a gorgeuos vacuum-formed space base playset;

4) a hyper-gorgeous Alkadia/Atlantis spaceship.

Here are some images (courtesy of the friend from AtlanticGalaxy.com), more at the pages http://www.atlanticgalaxy.com/harlock.htm and  http://www.atlanticgalaxy.com/goldrake.htm

Cheers

Ervino

goldrake box front.jpg  goldrake box retro.jpg

goldrake vega box front.jpggoldrake vega box retro.jpg

goldrake vega sprue front.jpg

goldrake actarus box front.jpggoldrake actarus box retro.jpg

goldrake actarus sprue front.jpg

goldrake base ita front.jpggoldrake base interno r.jpg

harlock base.jpg

harlock i harlock front.jpg

harlock i harlock retro.jpg

harlock personaggi sprue.jpg

harlock i raflesia front.jpg

harlock i raflesia retro.jpg

harlock raflesia eprsonaggi sprue.jpg

harlock i alkadia front.jpg

Tinplate6

Ervino, what took you so long?

Yes, I figured if anyone would have the background of these toys, you would. Well, possibly Alessandro, but he's not as fond of Atlantic figures as you and I are. 

I have seen seen the small figure sets, but not the Goldrake kit; I mean, I knew it existed, but it doesn't come up for sale that often.

ervino

Hi Brady!

So long? I replied 1 fraking hour after your post!!!  :-D

Anyway, AAMOF the Goldrake robot kit comes out rarely on evilbay, and the playsets & the Alkadia VERY rarely and at steep prices.

It is a little easyer to find them on some Italian toy site, but not much so, and the prices are steep there too. Personally I have the Golgot robot kit and the 4 spacemen sets (with some loose double).

The other items never were very high in my to-buy list frankly: beside the cost I'm not and never were a big fan of anime stuff...

E.

Tinplate6

Honestly, I'm not a big anime fan either, but they do come up with decent robot designs, from time to time.

You know, looking at the photos of the play sets; I have seen the red/blue/gray Golgoth robot, but never the black/green/gray version, I wonder if it was a prototype, or just a rare color combination? You would think it more common, as those are the colors on the box art.

ervino

For what I know the Goldrake playset content was of the same colors of the single robot kits. I never saw it "live", but, normally, the Atlantic box images were of custom painted or pre-production items, as you can see from the different colors of the vaccum-formed base too...

E.

geoffreypeeters

Here's a picture of the (unpainted) kit of Arcadia / Alcadia spaceship by Atlantic... The plastic is so fine / thin / brittle that it breaks in your hands while you try to build the vessel. So in this case bad quality makes this thing very rare :)

The nice little touch is the hinged opening staircase at the back of the ship - a feature that was made up for the toy and never appeared in the cartoons...

IMG_9981.JPGIMG_9987.JPG

IMG_9983.JPG

ervino
9 hours ago, geoffreypeeters said:

Here's a picture of the (unpainted) kit of Arcadia / Alcadia spaceship by Atlantic... The plastic is so fine / thin / brittle that it breaks in your hands while you try to build the vessel. So in this case bad quality makes this thing very rare :)

The nice little touch is the hinged opening staircase at the back of the ship - a feature that was made up for the toy and never appeared in the cartoons...

Kudos to you, geoffrey, I have never seen before so nice photos of it!!!  :thumbs:  

The staircase you mention is, I presume, in "scale" with the figure series. So, what is it: 3 feet lenght for the whole Alkadia? :eeek:  

Obviously the kit as a whole is not in scale with the figures (otherwise it should be, what: five/en times that lenght? :wacko:) but for sure it is one of the bigger set Atlantic ever produced (second only maybe to its "Task Force 59" 1/72 Aircraft Carrier set - https://viaggionellatlantic.wordpress.com/download/portaerei/ ).

About the plastic brittleness, I noticed thet too in the material of some of the veichles of the Galaxy series, even if not at the extent you describe (little/medium "fatigue/stress induced" cracks in some places).

Considered moreover that the Alkadia was one of the last set produced by Atlantic, when they were near the beginning of their end, I can easily presume that they "cuttted some corners" on production costs too.

AAMOF, some of the Atlantic early military sets suffers from "imperfect plasticogenesis" and today they crumble in your hands at the slightest pressure, but that, I believe, is a iusse common enough for toy soldier stuff of those years: some of the first Airfix 1/72 toy soldiers sets, e.g., suffter from it too, expecially the ones in gray plastic (the first run of the "Sheriff of Nottingham" and of the "Galaxy Warrior, e.g.), and that, FWIK, is caused by the use of "recoverd" plastic in their molding, that makes all the volatiles in the blend that keep the plastic soft to evaporate in the years.

But maybe our plastic material "resident expert" ejpetrie can help us on this on this... brittle topic? :thumbs:

Cheers

Ervino

Tinplate6

Interesting point about the plastic, I'd not noticed it. I have seen minor cracks, but I assumed it was just casting flaws.

geoffreypeeters

No, there is something on with the quality and/or aging of the plastic - specifically some of the red transparent parts that I found broken inside the sealed box before i started the built (Support for the missile launchers, front shield, etc.). They are really thin, glass-like, and they break quite easily.

Ervino, no, unfortunately the staircase is not up-to-scale to the Atlantic figurines... :) It would have been nice, though...

I remember seeing this kit built for the first time in a French "Grand Magasin"- type of store on holidays in Marseille when I was a kid. (around 1979 or 1980) and it was presented in an acrylic type of display with the plastic vacuum-formed base of the other set and the unpainted figurines around the ship. I don't know to this day if it was an official Atlantic display or if the store had decided to built this on their own. Did anyone remember seeing such type of displays in other areas ? (maybe with other Atlantic toys ?)

Of course at the time my parents said I already had enough toys and they did not have the money and it was too big and my room too small and already full of ...

... and it took me another 30 years to get this toy (knowing that buying it at the time in Marseille would have been a bargain compared with what I had to pay for it 30 years later...)

Mais cela, c'est la vie !

Tinplate6

Geoffrey, it's never about what a toy is worth on the market, but what it's worth to you!

ervino
15 hours ago, geoffreypeeters said:

No, there is something on with the quality and/or aging of the plastic - specifically some of the red transparent parts that I found broken inside the sealed box before i started the built (Support for the missile launchers, front shield, etc.). They are really thin, glass-like, and they break quite easily.

Ervino, no, unfortunately the staircase is not up-to-scale to the Atlantic figurines... :) It would have been nice, though...

Hi!

Yup, I suppose, as I wrote, that the plastic was already of not so high quality in the first palce (the amime stuff was the Atlantic Swan's Song) and so it aged badly.

A curiosity: if the staircase is not in scale with the figures, how much is the whole Alkadia model long?

Cheers

Ervino