ALPHADROME ROBOTS AND SPACE TOYS
Sign in to follow this  
Blaze Atoms

Message From Space Spacemen

Blaze Atoms

For those of you who may not know, after Star Wars first came out in 1977, it inspired (probably too generous a word) some movie companies to jump on the bandwagon and try to make a buck by making films that copy Star Wars in just about as many ways as possible without actually getting sued. Since the original Star Wars film is probably my favorite film of all time, I have done research into these blatant ripoffs and tend to immensely enjoy them. The best in my opinion would have to be the Italian Starcrash, the post-apocalyptic Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone, and the Japanese Message From Space. Here are some shots from Message From Space:

Message_From_Space_1.thumb.jpg.74ab72deaMessage_From_Space_4.thumb.jpg.6d1f5e2e9

Message_From_Space_2.thumb.jpg.40aa577ddMessage_From_Space_3.thumb.jpg.4b0d3aba0

Message_From_Space_6.thumb.jpg.bbb849bbfMessage_From_Space_5.thumb.jpg.9fb535a2e

Message_From_Space_9.thumb.jpg.8dad3163cMessage_From_Space_7.thumb.jpg.ec4887b5eMessage_From_Space_8.thumb.jpg.1f87df59e

Message_From_Space_10.thumb.jpg.744062e7

Searching for random Message From Space merchandise on eBay, I happened to come across a set of spacemen based on the film. They are a little too expensive for me right now considering other things I am collecting, but they sure look cool, and they don't seem super rare so I'll probably get them eventually. Here they are:

Message_From_Space_spacemen_1.thumb.jpg.

Message_From_Space_spacemen_2.thumb.jpg.Message_From_Space_spacemen_3.thumb.jpg.

Message_From_Space_spacemen_4.thumb.jpg.

Message_From_Space_spacemen_5.thumb.jpg.

I don't mind that they're translucent green - I actually think it's pretty cool. They are described as "eraser style figures" and I'm not sure what that means. There is no year of release attributed to them in the listing. The only thing I'm disappointed about with them is that other than the main villain (the one in the Darth Vader-esque outfit), they made all minor robots and creatures from the film instead of the main characters who are human. I guess that makes sense from a design standpoint, but it'd be like the only Star Wars set having minor background aliens from the Cantina instead of Luke, Han, and Leia just because they don't look as interesting. I actually need to watch this again because some of the designs do not look familiar to me and I want to make sure they're all at least based on something from the film. This was a very intriguing find for me.

Blaze Atoms

Apparently so!

If anyone wants to discuss these kinds of films in this thread I certainly would not object. :)

Blaze Atoms

I noticed that in the item description for the above set the seller says that they are not including the cardboard bag header seen in the pictures with the sale, so I messaged the seller to ask if it is from the original packaging for these toys and they say it is. So, not sure why they're not selling it with the toys, but apparently it's not because it's from something else. According to them, that is the original bag header.

Blaze Atoms

I actually bought these and a great set of 8 x 10's to go with them! I need to get off my lazy butt and post pictures!

Blaze Atoms
8 minutes ago, Roboto said:

What a great Forum on what was tried and happened. :thumbs:

WORD. :diggin:

That's me digging my own grave.