RenMarx

Pyro Rocket Car

26 posts in this topic

I agree with Tinman! The driver is a replacement and fits well in the seat, but the actual driver/pilot would be identical to your red one. The softer plastic version is definately Pyro made but more pliable. Same size as the harder plastic versions too! Silver is, to date, the only color I've ever seen in this softer plastic. Cool find!

Thanks guys - I was thinking replacement driver...  I will try to find where it came from.  I'll post a couple more pics when it arrives.
My thought is that this new driver will be the attendant to the space fleet and various 'bots is employed at this fine establishment.

gas station.jpg

well, I finally got a chance to load a couple pics of my new Rocket Car - it is indeed soft plastic.
The driver is really unique, and very detailed - it seems to be the same plastic, only more rigid and hard - likely due to the figure being thicker?

My car is different from yours, RenMarx - in that the markings are flipped - the Pyro stamp, and the mark left from the injection mold.  This example is opposite of yours.

I'm assuming the driver is a replacement - but it is an excellent fit.  I can't see any adhesive or damage from removal / replacement of the previous driver?
There is a curious "slice" in his knees - there seems to be a bit of hard plastic (red) to affix him.
The red plastic does not penetrate through the car however - I can't tell if it is underneath him.  
The feet of yellow driver (of my red Rocket Car) go through the car through the hole behind the front axle.

On the silver Rocket Car, the hole is empty - the drivers legs are gone below the knee.   It looks smooth and finished - like his legs were molded that way.

Also interesting - both drivers are seated more to the left side of center - they occupy the same off the center line spot..

Any ideas on where this driver might have come from - or if any Rocket Cars were released like this example?

Thanks - Kirk  

DSC01712.JPG

DSC01725.JPG

Strange, looks like a perfect match on the grey color?

Very strange, indeed - in the body of the car, there seem to be veins or mottling from flow - or different plastic.    It gives the car a nice metallic look - the driver has that same vein-like look to him - if you get what I mean.   

A couple of new pics in daylight - a side by side shows the fit and similarities / differences.  The little red piece of plastic between his knees can also be seen. it is not visible anywhere else throughout the car.

Regardless of its origin, I like this little addition to the group.

Thanks - Kirk

DSC01734.JPG

DSC01727.JPG

Definitely a replacement driver but it tells a story that dates back, probably to the original owner; perhaps he was going for a Rocky Jones Space Ranger look.

cmoonrocky.thumb.jpg.44e1eff51f5f94ed2d2

Well, the previous owner did a very nice job... but I must question his / her judgement  .  I would have preferred that the figure more closely resemble Jayne Mansfield... sheesh.

Or, maybe Sally Mansfield:

sally_mansfield.thumb.JPG.40fa2bfe8d10ad

well dang it all.   no doubt, Sally's cute - but I'd still prefer Jayne.

This was always a favorite of mine...probably got dads interested in watching the show.

tumblr_m6w2a3bavX1rt0kqwo1_r1_1280.thumb