ALPHADROME ROBOTS AND SPACE TOYS
Sign in to follow this  
Blaze Atoms

Best Search Terms for Finding Spacemen on eBay

Blaze Atoms

I am probably not the first to notice that finding vintage hard plastic spacemen on eBay can be something of a trick both because people selling them seem to not know what they have more often than not and eBay's search engine is apparently not the greatest. So, even if you don't collect all kinds of spacemen (like me), it is still useful to broaden your search as widely as possible to find everything hiding on eBay at any given time. Below is a list of search terms that I have been using. I would like to get suggestions from others and continue to add to the list.

Archer spaceman

Archer spacemen

Premier spaceman

Premier spacemen

Ajax spaceman

Ajax spacemen

vintage spaceman

vintage spacemen

hard plastic spaceman

hard plastic spacemen

Premier Flash Gordon

Premier Solar Commando

Yes, eBay's crappy search engine does give you different results depending on whether you search "spaceman" or "spacemen" so it is necessary to check both to be thorough. Many or most sellers only use one or the other and thus their auctions will only come up under one or the other of those search terms. I have tried the more general "plastic spaceman" and "plastic spacemen" before but that always gave me way more results with the only new ones not being hard plastic. It is quite time consuming with, at least in my experience, no payoff, so I don't recommend those.

Blaze Atoms

These also sometimes turn up unique results:

Premier hard plastic

Archer hard plastic

Kilroy

It also helps if you can put in the syntax/punctuation marks.  Items in brackets separated by commas will all be searched for but not all terms have to be present. 

(archer,premier) (spaceman,spacemen,space man,space men) yields 32 results with either "Archer" or "Premier" and one of the spaceman terms.

Terms not in brackets all have to be present.

archer premier (spaceman,spacemen,space man,space men) yields 2 terms because both "archer" and "premier" have to appear

Terms in quotation marks have to appear as quoted.

attack robot yields 688 listings because it included things like "Doom Robot - MARS ATTACKS Figure" with the terms separated by other words whereas "attack robot" yields 17 listings that are more specific.  In this instance hard plastic (spaceman,spacemen,space man,space men) and "hard plastic" (spaceman,spacemen,space man,space men) did not yield different results but could have if someone had listed 'hard to find space man photo in plastic wrap'

The above results were from general searches of the title only and not in specific categories.

Blaze Atoms

Very interesting information Kilroy, thanks very much for your help! What have you found to be the best combination of terms to find spacemen in your experience?

Today I accidentally discovered that eBay also provides search results for "space man" and "space men" that are unique from the search results for "spaceman" and "spacemen" so that suggests more items like this should be added to the list:

Premier space man

Premier space men

Archer space man

Archer space men

hard plastic space man

hard plastic space men

Blaze Atoms

For those who also search eBay for hard plastic spaceships I just wanted to put a quick slightly off-topic note here that today I discovered that eBay's search engine is at least good enough that "space ship" "spaceship" "space ships" and "spaceships" all turn up the same exact results, so apparently unlike with spacemen there is no need to do tedious multiple searches to satisfy one's OCD and ensure one has seen every possible result!

geoffreypeeters

Don't forget to look also for :

- Astronaut

- Cosmonaut

... a lot of spacemen have been listed under these names !

DantheMan

I know this is an old topic but I just joined yesterday.  Thanks for the advice.  I have not tried using brackets but I will shortly.:thumbs: