Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tinplate6

Tumbling Lunar Monster

10 posts in this topic

This is the story of an odd little toy. I had first seen this little alien some time ago here on Alphadrome, in fact, one of our members used it as his avatar for a short time (although I can't remember who it is). At the time, I had never seen it before, and just thought it was a weird figure. Well, recently I was trolling eBay.UK and saw that familiar pointed head and googly green eyes. This time it had the original box and a name; Tumbling Lunar Monster.

IMG_9325.thumb.jpg.9a360b1fe1f6a1bc5db45

The seller had a price in mind, but also would consider best offers. So, I made an offer, but it was too low. I thought that would be the end of it, but the next day, I still couldn't get this strange figure out of my mind; so, I made another offer, but it wasn't good enough. Now it became an obsession, I had to have this toy. Finally, I made the seller an offer he could live with, and agreed to sell it.  The next day, I received an email thanking me for the purchase, and letting me know that his brother had a website that focused on collectible robots and space toys...the site was called Alphadrome, the seller was a Kevin Hayes; Brian's brother! How cool was that! So I told him that I had been a member for over 7 years, and knew who Brian was...it is a small world.

Speaking of small, when the toy arrived, I was shocked to find how tiny it actually was; about 3 inches tall!

IMG_9326.thumb.jpg.cb0c22eb2210945438188

The toy is near mint, with some box scuffing to the paint and a little surface grime that cleaned off easily. Oh, and the apparent gash in the back of the head in the photos below, is actually a reflection in the plastic.

IMG_9317.thumb.jpg.a8a144eab301b5b72cc36IMG_9318.thumb.jpg.617003f422e2f63165902

The box has some cracks, but it's all there. The graphics are pure comic book kitsch; an earth astronaut is battling it out on an alien world with three of these little guys, while one has retracted his legs,  and seems to be making his retreat, by rolling away.

IMG_9321.thumb.jpg.9198ae24d16d2d2c7f66eIMG_9320.thumb.jpg.a4b0c32f1b86bccc52c77

IMG_9322.thumb.jpg.4a8d28ee245d07efa7a67

The only markings on the toy are the words MADE IN HONG KONG molded onto his belt. The box is marked the same on the base, along with the number 505 and a K inside a sun symbol.

IMG_9323.thumb.jpg.6425c74b663b56f2fa4fb

This tiny space weeble now joins his brethren in the alien room.

Ugly but great.Love the box.Great story.Enjoy

Here's a panoramic view of the artwork as it was laid out on the box...

IMG_9328.thumb.jpg.41aa152df572a7375a0e2IMG_9329.thumb.jpg.c86b68821f23603fdb00cIMG_9330.thumb.jpg.210e353a7b29f440c9101IMG_9331.thumb.jpg.b4d15d8f519477b1ada89

Ok, here's a curious conundrum, was George Lucas inspired by this toy? In Star Wars there was a character named Lobot, according to Wikipedia; 

Lobot was a Human male who served as the chief administrative aide to Baron Administrator Lando Calrissian on Cloud City over the planetBespin. His brain was connected to the city's central computer which allowed him to communicate directly with the city's computer network. 

Ok, now I assume this toy was produced in the 60's, don't you think there is an odd similarity between these two...? Well, except for the red lipstick.

lobot.thumb.jpg.87f9174e9fc85c7264941125weeble.thumb.jpg.447f1876190ffcdbfa42c21

Yes, that's one cute little fellow with a great look. I found a few of them many years ago and they are the only ones I've ever seen. I'd forgotten that my brother still had one of them.

Thanks, yes, Brian, it was a pleasure dealing with "the family" again!  :hail: Your brother seemed quite proud of you, as well he should be.:biggrin:

Well, I remembered who else has one of these; Chili! 

Chili, if you are reading this, post a photo of your little monster.

Dang TInplate6, I didn't think of it at first but that little dude definitely has a striking resemblance to Lobot. If it wasn't George Lucas who took the inspiration from this toy, it may have been concept artist Ralph McQuarrie.

Precisely my point...thanks Blaze! :biggrin:

Well, I guess I'm joining this list . I bought the Lunar Monster in Adamstown before Botstock. I had forgotten this post and who had made it.