Sign in to follow this  
clay2445

Aifix spacemen

clay2445

Hi, Here's my collection of nicely painted airfix spacemen......

photo 1 (14).JPG

photo 1 (13).JPG

photo 2 (15).JPG

photo 2 (16).JPG

photo 3 (11).JPG

photo 3 (12).JPG

PeeBee

Indeed.... nice collection :-)

Tinman

While researching the Italian Atlantic Galaxy Serie toys I stumbled across this set of "Space Warriors" at auction, made by Airfix.  This set was supposedly released in 1983 and is an obvious take on Star Wars characters with maybe a bit of Battlestar Galactica thrown in.  I normally stay away from later toys but I guess when you think about it they're nearly 35 years old; the fact that they were an attempt by Airfix to jump on the coattails of Star Wars is part of their charm, as it is for the figures released by Tim Mee.  I'll definitely remove them from the box for display, but will keep them unpainted. From what I was able to learn, the first set was released in1981 but the box didn't have the window; bagged sets were re-released in 1995.

$29 (Oct 2016)(1).jpg

$29 (Oct 2016)(4).jpg

$29 (Oct 2016)(2).jpg

ervino
8 hours ago, Tinman said:

(...)  I normally stay away from later toys but I guess when you think about it they're nearly 35 years old; the fact that they were an attempt by Airfix to jump on the coattails of Star Wars is part of their charm, as it is for the figures released by Tim Mee.  (...)

Bill, the point is that unfortunately WE are getting older, so what was new "then", is starting to be at least "vintage" by now... :eeek:   :biggrin:

Anyway, here is a nice link with images and data on the A-SW: http://www.airfixtoysoldiers.com/space_warriors.htm

Beside the original Airfix ones, in silver & gray soft plastic (BTW: beware that some of the early issue of the gray version of the A-SW figures suffers from "soft plastic fatigue" and have become very brittle), there exist some bootleg Greek versions, in metallic gold and trans-red soft(er) plastic.