ALPHADROME ROBOTS AND SPACE TOYS
Sign in to follow this  
Andy

life sized Zeroids and others.

Andy

post-677-0-49745400-1391434432_thumb.jpg

Here's an update on the long struggle to bring a large scale Zeroid into existence.

I must have started this fifteen years ago with Zemo then having scrapped that I began work on Zintar about five years ago. As before development ground to a halt due to changing circumstances and a devastating economic climate. No point in developing a luxury product which nobody could justify buying.

post-677-0-78303200-1391434298_thumb.jpg post-677-0-65491700-1391434338_thumb.jpg

Times are moving on and so development has begun once more, with a big push to get the robot plugs looking good enough to photograph. This way I hope to keep my enthusiasm up long enough to get Zintar to the point of owing me too much to stop again.

post-677-0-33172000-1391434362_thumb.jpg

post-677-0-73254800-1391434389_thumb.jpg

These are just some of the photo's to date. The arm in the pics is mocked up and will be replaced with an authentic one soon.

More can be found in my 'private collections' page.

And at www.shawcraft.co.uk plus the facebook page 'shawcraft'.

post-677-0-28293400-1391434398_thumb.jpgpost-677-0-08893100-1391434453_thumb.jpg

Also there's a facebook group.. Shawcraft Robots and Mechanical Men.

I'll keep updates and pics to a minimum here as I know space is limited.

Thanks, Andy Shaw.

‚Äč
plasticaugie

Is Arok a Zeroid? I always thought he was very Zeroid like.

Looks good so far, will he be mobile or just stationary?

post-191-0-28740900-1391451289_thumb.jpg

robothut

Andy said ,As before development ground to a halt due to changing circumstances and a devastating economic climate. No point in developing a luxury product which nobody could justify buying.

Sure there is a reason to build robots that no one can afford Andy. Its to make you happy to do something you really want to do. never say die and damn the torpedoes.

Any way I never let things like that stop my dreams. Good work so far !

Andy

Cheers John, you're right, I am fed up with always needing to build things which can be marketed but it could be a whole lot worse couldn't it, than building robots.

Plasticaugie, I recon Ben Skora certainly had Zobor (the bronze coloured one) in mind when he was building Arok, yes. I do love him. Have you seen the video on youtube of Ben's house and Arok?

Yes it's going to have molds taken and then be put into production and there will be the usual features of 'room guard', speaking, radio control etc. My own will be motorised and the first thing I'm going to do is have the robot mow the lawn with a mower. This is the first robot I've produced which will have working hands and arms plus enough space in the base for very powerful drive motors and batteries.

Thanks, glad you like it.

Steve's Bots and Rays

Looking great Andy! Zintar The Explorer -life-sized - exactly what I was thinking when I was a youngster! How cool is that. Don't stop.

I would think you'd have some creative options as far as lighting details. Thanks for letting us into the workshop!

Steve

Andy

Thanks Steve.

Yes, I really wanted to build Zobor first, he was my first Zeroid. But I know Zintar is the most popular so here he comes. I hope to end up with all three originals full sized which of course will mean Zemo can be produced also.

Yes led's in the dome, and various effects elsewhere. I usually have operating 'voice lights' in my robots which flash with each syllable spoken. But Zintar has no 'mouth'. Any suggestions, anyone?

Andy

Wow, I can see Zintars eyes right now having watched that Steve, thanks.

The only slight problem now is... I WANT TO BUILD THAT HELMET! It'd make an ideal alternative to shades for the summer!

No, I'm pressing on with Zintar but I'll have to make the eyes up just like that, it'll be perfect. That could be used for the oscilloscope effect in the base also.

Now here are a couple of Zemo pics from way back before I scrapped it!

post-677-0-69504100-1391477704_thumb.jpgpost-677-0-07505300-1391477864_thumb.jpgpost-677-0-57402600-1391477768_thumb.jpg

Andy

Just a few more photo's of progress on the life sized Zeroid...

The base's cut outs have been blanked off for molding.

post-677-0-88222000-1392079715_thumb.jpg

The separate panels in the base will be produced from molds then added to the base. That way the front panel can be chromed and the side vents will be produced in their colour for durability.

post-677-0-84754200-1392079726_thumb.jpg

Also the torso now has the three bezels in place and the riser front panel has been reworked.

post-677-0-90031700-1392079760_thumb.jpgpost-677-0-60272600-1392079777_thumb.jpg

Andy

Another new photo which includes larger diameter arm parts and the Zeroid hand plug being built up on the floor.

Andy

Here's are a few short video's of the radio controlled walking, talking Planet Robot and a short compilation of my robots since 1998

The first is a clip of my new generation radio controlled walking, interactive talking Planet Robot being bench tested....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhGUhg6MD6g&list=PLVOa7Vt5Eyfa_6TKuhPWTLIs5g6CKX9tw&feature=share&index=3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNkssuRGBMw&list=PLVOa7Vt5Eyfa_6TKuhPWTLIs5g6CKX9tw&feature=share

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsZHymafEfg&feature=share&list=PLVOa7Vt5Eyfa_6TKuhPWTLIs5g6CKX9tw&index=1

More on facebook page.. Shawcraft Life sized Robots.

Andy

Here we are three years on and there has been some progress on the Zeroid Zintar thankfully.

The head, hand, and torso molds are now complete along with the segmented base disc and two 'radar' like features on the riser. Some of the internal head details are in place also.

SAM_3110.JPG

SAM_3235.JPG

SAM_3113.JPG

SAM_1518.JPG

SAM_1523.JPG