Blechroboter

Atlantic Galaxy Serie

42 posts in this topic

The Galaxy Serie was produced by Italian company Atlantic from 1978 to the early 1980s. It contains a space man (Sky Man), a space woman with baby, some aliens, robots and vehicles. The figures were made in a soft plastic in the kind of swoppet figures from Britains or Timpo. The Sky Man is 12cm tall.

There is even an article about the Galaxy Serie on Wikipedia: http://produced by Italian company Atlantic from 1978 to the early 1980s.

Many informations can be found on http://www.atlanticgalaxy.com/

post-544-0-01282200-1367864508_thumb.jpg

Sky-Girl's outfit is very... interesting.

This was a very creative line of imaginative, and wonderfully sculpted science fiction characters. I am a big fan of the Atlantic figures and own most of the figures produced. These were designed as models to be painted, and played with, at a time where most manufacturers offered one or the other. These could be purchased as either built-up, ready to play toys, or build yourself kits, still on sprues and ready to paint.

First is Sky Girl, who was Sky Man's partner in fighting galactic crime. As you can tell, they put far less effort in naming these two figures than they did sculpting them.

post-656-0-21307900-1375039092_thumb.jpg

Sky Man is a direct nod to Buck Rogers, with little effort to disguise that fact.

post-656-0-97799700-1375039162_thumb.jpg

I have two color variations, showing only minor differences in color between a red cape and blue helmet.

post-656-0-24549000-1375039296_thumb.jpg

The faithful companion is Humbot the humanoid robot who has many C3pO design elements.

post-656-0-80329400-1375039383_thumb.jpg

He also came in other colors including the famous all gold.

post-656-0-45351700-1375039434_thumb.jpg

So, with all the good guys, who are the bad guys?

The first here is Hypnos the ant man. He could control your mind with a state. He is one of the more rare characters, and the only one with a cast copper colored metal head.

post-656-0-87366100-1375038966_thumb.jpg

Next we have Zephton the bulked-up, slimy green alien baddie...every great space opera has one.

post-656-0-45316700-1375039639_thumb.jpg

Finally the alien robot Dynation, I'm not sure what his story is...

post-656-0-44320400-1375039751_thumb.jpg

There is one more alien that is so rare I have only seen him once, but never could get, Sloggy the snail man. Honestly, I think he (or she) is the coolest and most imaginative of the characters.

Here is the story of these pieces and the Atlantic company translated from the Italian web site...

"
The "Atlantic toys s.p.a." was founded in February 1966 in Milan, with its registered office at 28C.so Buenos Aires and factory in Treviglio in Via Redipuglia 53/55; was active production until the mid-80s, and then, in fact, fail.

In the '70s reached national fame producing toy soldiers in HO scale (1/72) and 1/32; such success that was soon established in Europe and North America, so as to produce series dedicated to the international market.

Of the soldiers remember the series dedicated to the soldiers of Italy and great revolutions, the Armies of World War II, the modern Armies, the Ancient History, History of the West, to the Future (The Galaxy and spatial) and cartoons (Grendizer and Captain Harlock).

The toy soldiers Atlantic become a true cultural phenomenon, with the marketing of the boxes of toy soldiers to "LIT 100", the famous advertising slogan "boy you have 100 pounds?" and the motto "to play better and better," toy soldiers Atlantic become
part of life and games every day millions of Italian children.

The Atlantic promotes its production through the catalogs available in toy stores and advertising campaigns, particularly of publications dedicated to the boys of which the most famous is that the weekly Disney "Mickey Mouse", but of Treviglio there are references in encyclopedias, texts, performances and other games.

Even today, his soldiers were in the heart of an entire generation of Italians and many collectors in the world, and even today we find
references a bit 'everywhere not least on Wikipedia.

Also in the '70s, the home of Treviglio produces another game of national fame, the Giocagoal, answer all the most famous and expensive Italian Subbuteo.

During his career, the Atlantic produces over to the soldiers and Giocagoal a wide range of games and toys: from Supermarket dedicated to girls, to the Super basketball, to Toy guns, cannons firing, to boats, to a series of Trucks, the Atlantic models, the Plastic rail, toys for Early Childhood, for other games and toys including a pool table.

In April of 1980 the company was founded Atlantic Edizioni srl Based in Treviglio in Via Redipuglia 53/55 with the aim of producing regular editorial publications often accompanied by gadgets.

In December 1986 "Atlantic toys s.p.a." changes its name to "Atlantic toys srl"; transfers its registered office in Treviglio in Via Redipuglia 53/55 and goes out of business in March 1987.

Over the last years the company "Atlantic Edizioni srl" continues to market the products of the "Atlantic toys spa", changing the blister packs and pouches and the motto "to play better and better" in "the best friend of your free time", until February 1989 when also ceases its activity.

Closed the Atlantic, the original molds and samples would seem to have been detected by the Milan-based company that Niagara, after maybe sold some blisters, decided to sell everything to a company in Iraq except about 25 molds which owned it.

The molds sold to the firm would seem to Iraq arrived in Iraq in spite of the Gulf War and today they have gone missing and a part of the molds remained in Italy, seem to have been sold in various parts of the world, while the majority, about a twenty relating only to soldiers in HO scale (1/72), remained in Italy at the Nexus Editrice srl.

The "Nexus Editrice s.r.l" registered the trademark Atlantic commercializing Reissues sets of toy soldiers available (currently 19) and a little later the Italian Waterloo 1815 (which previously was in charge of reprints Nexus) marketed for a short period 7 a set.

To date, the Nexus publishing s.r.l is the only one to have the exclusive molds and brand Atlantic and produce reissues Atlantic with the words on the packaging "From the original molds Atlantic", to note that the original colors of the plastic melting toy soldiers have been specially changed from those period to avoid confusion and speculation against the collectors.

Editions Atlantic s.r.l

The company Edizioni Atlantic S.r.l. was born in April 1980 in Treviglio in Via Redipuglia 53/55 with the aim of producing regular editorial publications often accompanied by gadgets.

From what little I know the Atlantic Editions published the "Necklace Combat", a semi-annual magazine comic packs attached to the Atlantic, and a folding "Futurama" also initially enclosed in the packaging Atlantic.

Over the last years, after the "Atlantic toys spa" ceases its activities in March 1987, the company "Atlantic Edizioni srl" continues
to market the products of the "Atlantic toys spa", changing the blister packs and pouches and the motto "to play better and better" in "the best friend of your free time", until February 1989 when also ceases
its activity.

The last few years

With the advent of video games, in the early '80s, the Atlantic drastically reduces its production, and proposes again some of her toys (especially soldiers), first in packs "blister" and then in "envelopes" and other toys in "packs kiosk", including the giocagoal and supergiocagoal.

Between the mid-to late-80s, near the end, are marketed by Edizioni srl Atlantic a series of "blister" and "envelopes".

In the years immediately following some toy soldiers Atlantic were marketed in different editions by other brands and envelopes "Great Surprise" with no brand."

Here are some other figures and vehicles...

post-656-0-10194700-1375041942_thumb.jpg

post-656-0-95006300-1375041948_thumb.jpg

post-656-0-67903700-1375041957_thumb.jpg

post-656-0-73737400-1375041965_thumb.jpg

Hi Tinplate6 !

I see that you are a great collector. I am looking for some Atlantic Galaxy figures. The Hypnos and Sloggy.

Can you help me ?

thanks !

JC

Mad-el, Honestly, I wish you luck; those are the two toughest figures to find, besides the vehicles. It took me about 7 years just to get a Hypnos, and I have only seen pictures of the Sloggy snail man. There used to be two or three websites that sold these, but I can't seem to find them. Of course, you can always try your luck on eBay. There are many sites that cater to Galaxy Series collectors, showcasing their collections...who knows, perhaps someone might be selling some, it's worth a try. Good luck!

Well, I have finally found the rarest Atlantic Galaxy figure...Sloggy the shooting slug man; hey, with a name like that, it's got to be hard to find!

This is a real Sci-fi character, if there ever was one. It fires plastic ball missiles from a rear catapult.

IMG_8958.jpg

IMG_8962.jpg

IMG_8963.jpg

IMG_8961.jpg

Bravo, cool catch indeed!!!

I always lowed this figure (and wondered under the influnce of what "creativity enanching substance" it was designed. You know... the '70... :-D

PS: 300 bucks... fiuuuuu! :-)

Cheers

Ervino

Thanks Ervino, and yes, they can be expensive. Here are some more photos of the group...

IMG_8976.thumb.jpg.cb6cf44a52eaaef092bac

IMG_8975.thumb.jpg.b61817b6e665e58330630

IMG_8974.thumb.jpg.eee070c6def4ea73dfc9d

I also own the star fighter and saucer; these are massive vehicles, in scale with the figures, the saucer measures 16 inches across...

IMG_8977.thumb.jpg.8760c3f26c3c4daf10563

And the fighter is 17 inches long!

IMG_8978.thumb.jpg.46d4e7dbfbf4346663e6f

It appears that the Humbot robot is the main workhorse in this universe; every vehicle is piloted by one of them, or in the case of the flying saucer...two of them!

Great pick-up Brady, looking forward to seeing it in October!  I haven't added any of these to my collection yet because I've been distracted by Hot Toys figures; I think I'm back on track though and will be looking for a Sky-Man to start, just waiting for the right colors.

Cool stuff but am I seeing under-boob on Sky-Girl?

Andy, well, all I can say is the Italians do know how to sculpt the female form.

IMG_8979.thumb.jpg.04d6fc9385c2f4bdd8da8IMG_8980.thumb.jpg.41fec67814f8e9cf56e26

But be kind, after all, she is a working mother...I've heard of taking your kids to work, but this is ridiculous!

IMG_8984.thumb.jpg.6a2923cb5c39e69a62a7dIMG_8982.thumb.jpg.259dd555cc2c31ce928c4

Hi All!

OK, this could be very interesting.

I got word from a trusted source that the molds for the Atlantic Galaxy & Spaziali Series were probabily sold, just before the failure of the company (second half of the '80), to some South American toys company, maybe form Argentina, maybe from Brazil.

So it seems that those molds didn't follow the destiny of almost all (AAMOF only about 20 molds remains today in Italy - for 1/72 scale soldiers, and are owned by the Itaian Nexus toy company) the others Atlantic toy soldiers molds, that were sold at the end of the '80 to an Iraqui toy company that imported them in Iraq just before the First Gulf War, so that they very likely are lost forever.

Anyone here on the 'drome has any contact with SA? Or have anyone ever seen some copies of the Atlantic Galaxy/Spaziali figures that can be traced to SA?

SeriousBob? Alessandro? Brady? TinMan? Anyone??? :-)

Cheers

Ervino