14 replies to this topic

#9 Electric Robot and Son

Electric Robot and Son

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:31 PM

I have a Stanley the Robot. I have talked to both Joe K and John Rigg about this robot during visits to the Toy Robot Museum and the Robot Hut. I bought it in the early 1990's from a woman in New Jersey through Toy Shop newspaper (pre ebay). My son Brian and I had just starting collecting robots and we had collected most of the smaller Tomy and Playtime robots. We were able to find them locally, but we didn't see either of the two large Tomy Omnibots or the Stanley the Robot (19" tall) at any flea markets or Toy shows. The Omnibots were pretty common (and still are)and we bought them through the Toy Shop Newspaper. It took us several years to find Stanley. It is the only one I ever saw. I have never seen one on ebay until this one that Joe has posted. If you have any of the other boxed small playtime robots you will probably see a picture of the Stanley the Robot on the box. So what happened to all of these? Has anyone else ever seen one?
ER&S

Joe Markee

#10 Mr. Jan

Mr. Jan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:55 PM

Hello:
See " The Old Robots " web site in the links section.
Also has a picture of the remote seperatley.
Still having fun ?
Mr. Jan

http://theoldrobots.com/Stanley.html

#11 Electric Robot and Son

Electric Robot and Son

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:32 PM

Thanks Mr Jan. It's nice to hear you are still out there.

The robot whose pictures are on that web site is also missing the "thumbs" like the one in the auction. Could this be the same robot that was in the auction? The patent shows an external monopole antenna but mine has a wire loop antenna wound inside Stanley's head. Also there is no door on the bottom. The battery mounts behind the panel in the rear. I tried to leave a message on the oldrobots web page but was unable to do it. Maybe somebody else can try. He did not have a stanley the robot on his 'my robots' page but he sure had a lot of others.
ER&S

Joe Markee

#12 astrogonza

astrogonza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:22 AM

I have almost all the PlayTime Robots
The only ones I do not have are Bob The Messenger and Stanley The Robot
I been looking for one for 'years' with NO luck
the one in the Auction is missing the Remote control and the ''Thumbs'' as you can see in the Box (photo)
the external antenna is a mistery because the pictures do not show a place or spot for it
I think this robot did not come with a tray.
if the company made only 600 will be hard to see another one in Auction again. . . .

Attached Images

• DSCN0927.JPG
  • DSCN0935.JPG

#13 Electric Robot and Son

Electric Robot and Son

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:24 AM

Stanley has a tray that snaps into a slot in the front. Their is an internal antenna comprised of multiple loops of wire inside his head. Here are some pictures of my Stanley from a previous post

http://danefield.com...-2/page__st__32
ER&S

Joe Markee

#14 Joe K.

Joe K.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,840 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:12 AM

The robot whose pictures are on that web site is also missing the "thumbs" like the one in the auction. Could this be the same robot that was in the auction?

Judging by the camera angles and the light source reflections, not only is it the same robot, they are the same photos!

Mr. Jan - Nice to see you are still with us. Any new robots to report?

Astrogonza - There is also a reverse color combination for the Gyrobot you may want to keep an eye out for.
Joe Knedlhans - Owner/Curator
The Toy Robot Museum @ Stoudtburg Village
Adamstown, Pennsylvania

#15 Electric Robot and Son

Electric Robot and Son

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:01 PM

Joe, I think you are correct. I guess theoldrobots.com site must have copied the photo's from the ebay auction.
ER&S

Joe Markee