Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New Addition - Rare Nomura Robins Egg Blue Pug Robot with Pictures

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hi Fellow Robot Enthusiasts,

I haven't posted for awhile but now I finally have something new to talk about. I just purchased a very rare Nomura Robins Egg Blue Pug Robot. It was a risky purchase for me because the seller's pictures of the robot looked silver, not robins egg blue. In fact, the seller said the robot was silver, not blue silver and certainly not robins egg blue silver. But he may have not known of the rare blue since he was selling the robot for someone else and they were selling the pug for only the less rare silver pug price. Hmm, maybe worth purchasing despite the apparent disparity in color? Lastly, the seller wanted to sell the robot to me directly without the benefit of buyers protection like what Ebay provides so I was a little worried that this might not be legitimate. Well, to make a long story short, I chanced the purchase because although the robot looked silver (wrong color) in the seller's pictures it had horizontal antenna (correct for blue pug) and a D-cell battery controller (correct for blue pug). E.

At the end, everthing turned out fine thanks to the seller from Germany who was honest. Here are pictures to show you how this blue pug differs from a silver pug. You may notice that the battery wires attach to the bottom of the body differently between the two versions as well. I really love the blue color and I never thought I would come across this robot in person but I kept an eye out for it nevertheless.

Hey, I wanted to let you know that I appreciate all your postings on this board. Please keep on posting!

All The Best!

Klatuu Barada Nikto

post-1653-0-61879300-1345234748.jpg

post-1653-0-17219400-1345234762.jpg

post-1653-0-46602300-1345234775.jpg

Edited by Klaatu Barada Nikto

Posted · Report post

Excellent find of this rare version. Love that blue color Pug. :thumbs:

Posted · Report post

Wow! One of my all-time favorite robots. Congratulations!

Posted · Report post

Good eye and a nice pick-up!!

Posted · Report post

Thank you Steve, Roboto and Dratomic for your comments. I am really digging the light metallic blue color of the robot and am lucky to have come across this one for sale.

I read the previous alphadrome articles on this robot and it appears this robot is fairly rare. By chance, is there anyone else besides Robohunter and myself who have this robot? Chime in if you can or if you know of someone else who has this particular robot.

Best Regards,

KBN

Posted · Report post

Paul Lipps had one that sold in auction.

Posted · Report post

Nie pickup!! Your risk was rewarded.

Posted · Report post

I know of a couple other examples floating around... But even so, yeah, it's a crazy rare toy.

Posted (edited) · Report post

If I was aware of these variations on battery boxes and wiring, I had forgotten. It is hard for me to believe I have been paying attention to toy robots for over twenty years. Well, I actually started collecting 45 years ago, but I sat with just one piece for 23 years. But I still have my first one, so that's cool. Okay, enough about me already. Who cares. Nice presentation, Klaatu.

Edited by Keith Palmer

Posted · Report post

Super cool 'Bot, congrats!

Posted · Report post

Thank you for your comments Electric Robot and Son, Keith Palmer, and jimm.

Yes, I believe the larger D-Cell batteries (rather than C-cells) were necessary to not only power the Blue Pug's walking but also for the making his attenna spin. The C-Cell powered Pug walks but his attenna are stationary.

There are discussions on this forum which hypothesize that the Japanese cut back on some of the robot features (ie loss of spinning attenna) to minimize production costs. It follows that having to produce only 1 version (c-cell version) of the robot is alot cheaper than producing 2 versions (c-cell and d-cell). This may be a reason why we see so few D-Cell version Pugs and why so few made it out of Japan.

Anyways, interesting stuff IMHO and feel free to add any other interesting explanation you may have regarding this. I do find it hard to believe that the c-cell is preferable over the d-cell. Perhaps collectors did not like the horizontal attenna of the d-cell? Note that Robby the Robot from Forbidden Planet had a horizontal attenna and a vertical attenna. So, actually the c-cell Pug resembles Robby more exactly except that the c-cell does not have the spinning attenna of Robby. Or, again, perhaps production rates was strictly a function of maintaining profit and minimizing production costs based on supply and demand?

Thank you again for your feeback and continuing contributions!

KBN