Sign in to follow this  
Zeitreisender

Rak "52" Solid Fuel Metal Rocket "Made in Germany" V2

Zeitreisender

Hello everybody,

Has anyone ever seen this? It is heavy and about 9 inches tall, the metal box functions as a launching platform with two metal rods which are inserted into the top, the rocket is made of light metal and has a parachute enclosed behind a metal hinged door which is kept closed during launch by wind resistance. I don't have the rocket motor or the explosive charge and no indication what it would have consisted of. I imagine a fairly powerful black powder fireworks skyrocket charge would have been necessary to get this heavy monster up to any appreciable height so the parachute could deploy. This was a German made kid's toy of the early 1950's. Does anyone know about this thing...? I need more information for my upcoming book. I love the "Destination Moon" look!

11494065wd.jpg

11494067al.jpg

Another interesting German made toy out of my collection.

Regards,

Dale

ANZinSpace

I found this site and thread which is discussing in part the RAK 52 - RAK 52 thread. It might be worth contacting them keeping in mind it's from 2007.

The extracts from that thread are:

I found an obscure reference in the German model magazine Flug and Modell Technik that may indicate that this model is from the 1960's. Is there any date reference other than the name "RAK 52" or "RAK 53"?

The Rak 52 is from the mid 1960s. It was a "modernization" of the old rubber band launched rockets that Europe had during this time.

The Rak 52 was made in West Germany or at least that is where I have seen them before. They are uncommon - rare; probably because the Jetex/Estes solution, made far better sense, was cheaper and easier to setup and operate.

Zeitreisender

I found this site and thread which is discussing in part the RAK 52 - RAK 52 thread. It might be worth contacting them keeping in mind it's from 2007.

The extracts from that thread are:

I found an obscure reference in the German model magazine Flug and Modell Technik that may indicate that this model is from the 1960's. Is there any date reference other than the name "RAK 52" or "RAK 53"?

The Rak 52 is from the mid 1960s. It was a "modernization" of the old rubber band launched rockets that Europe had during this time.

The Rak 52 was made in West Germany or at least that is where I have seen them before. They are uncommon - rare; probably because the Jetex/Estes solution, made far better sense, was cheaper and easier to setup and operate.

Thanks, but this information seems to be mostly incorrect. RAK 52 surely relates to 1952, as the production methods and product packaging rules out the 1960's. Perhaps in the Flug & Modell magazine they were doing a retrospective and I would like to find out what issue that was. The RAK nomenclature pays homage to the

Opel RAK 1 which you can see the history here on YouTube.

I'll keep searching for original documentation about RAK 52...

Thanks,

Dale

astrogonza

This is a very nice Rocket, just love the style, , ,

Zeitreisender

Hello All,

We are getting closer. Here the pamphlet for the RAK "52" from 1952:

11506576lb.jpg

11506581xh.jpg

Hey, I knew I joined the right forum!

Greetings,

Dale

Zeitreisender

Wow, I've got to try this:

An actual photograph of the RAK "52" in action with the caption in English " The Rak 52 spears skywards at a speed of 140 kilometers per hour." Look at that plume!

11506665za.jpg

Now that's a space toy!

Greets,

Dale

Lunik

Thanks, Zeitreisender, for pointing to this old post of yours! This was all news on me. Great to now know what kind of rocket I have. Always thought it be a Strenco. Mine without box, also missing the parachute and launching poles.

Found the toy's entry in the German Patent and Trade Mark Office, online, using DepatisNet. Right to the point: 
https://depatisnet.dpma.de/DepatisNet/depatisnet?window=1&space=menu&content=treffer&action=pdf&docid=DE000001639440U

Thus clarified:

- Utility model protection had been applied by the producer, Georg Sautier, Hamburg, as named on the box, and by a partner named Guenther Lukas, also in Hamburg. The name 'RAK 52' obviously relating to the year of its launch to market. 

- The parachute hutch door is being held closed by some kind of a notch. At the thrust firework's burnout a secondary load exploding is required to drive a bolt against the slot, releasing the parachute. 

- The protection record does not give any clue to a manufacturer. Also there is no specification regarding the firework devices other than talking about 'common firework device'. Guenther Lukas' role remains unspecified. 

- According to the protection record the toy is designed to resemble a rocket as e.g. the V2. This is one point, why I think, the rocket has not just been a 'found' shape but an intended specific design.

- The portholes along the rocket are not mentioned in the record. They are no essential part of the model, though they can be useful reducing weight and cooling the hull - a marginal security measure for a projectile like that.

Moreover:

Searching the web for Georg Sautier, brings up remarkable aspects. A certain Georg Klein a.k.a. Dipl. Ing. Georg Sautier is said to have played some role in the technical administration of projects researching/developing real flying saucers in Germany until April 1945. 

To put it clearly: I have no evidence of Dipl. Ing. Georg Sautier of RAK 52 being identical with Dipl. Ing. Georg Sautier/Georg Klein. Anyway, same person or not, I don't think Georg Sautier, producer of RAK 52, had been much involved in the manufacturing. At least I don't know his name for anything like that. As a developing engineer he may have had partners or contractors for the manufacturing. There might have been contacts with Strenco*1) or simply to a third party. The manufacturer may have helpled with final design!

The original alluminium rocket: Strenco or Sautier?:

Strenco Robot ST1 and the rocket's first public appearance have been in 1954/55, 2 or 3 years later than Sautier's rocket. Looks like this style of rocket was first manufactured for Sautier.

The Strenco Rocket is smaller than the Sautier. Strenco does not have a parachute and -door.*2) Else the Strenco has the same shape and looks, using the same colours, profiling of the fins and probably the same materials. The launching lugs and poles have been adopted to a launching transporter system - not sure if that rocket still driven by firework thrust. A photo from the Strenco jubilee's followup colourful repro project shows a robot holding the rocket (also a repro) by the portholes fitting over the robot's hands!*3) And this repro rocket named 'RAK nnnn'(can't read the numbers)! Volker, then owner and producer of Strenco, seems to have knowledge of the RAK 52 concept.

Later vintage Strenco rockets have more and more been changed to flowing lines of plastic design.

Does anybody in this forum own one of the Strenco alluminium rockets, Gernot, Dirk? Volker (still here?) might want to chime in?

At least Georg Sautier clearly launched this rocket as a space toy, not as a weapon - see the box and pamphlet. Brian might want to add it to the timeline and database.

image.jpeg

Fig. 1 showing single door version like Sautier rocket

Fig. 2 showing split nose version like seen on Strenco

*1 Fritz Hörndlein until Ludwig Streng taking over in 1954

*2 Strenco rocket may also have used a parachute

*3 Photo does not clearly show if robot hands fit into rocket

Corrective notes and caption added Jan. 15, 2018 - see more detail in new post below.

Lunik

image.jpeg

ST1 and Strenco alluminium rocket

image.jpeg

Strenco Rocket transport and launching system. Is there any rocket drive to be detected?

image.jpeg

Strenco repros, one looks like holding rocket RAK nnnn by his hands

Lunik

Just four days after posting my thoughts here above, I have taken a closer look at the photo of that yellow Strenco rocket transport and lauching truck. 

image.jpeg

This rocket has a split nose/tip! The two halves could well encapsule a parachute, that gets released, when the capsule opens by being pushed out from the rocket's main body. 

That's why I now have to recognize that this type of Strenco alluminium rocket can well follow the concept of Sautier's protected utility model figure 2. Wonder if anybody here owns such a Strenco rocket or can say for sure if they sport the parachute and solid fuel features. 

Above I have also mentioned the rocket's portholes. Of course the aspect of reducing the rocket's mass is irrelevant. These few holes don't change much of the inertia force. And even the portholes of the bigger RAK 52 are too small for ST1's hands to fit in. In the pic it looks like ST1 is holding the rocket locked in on his hands - a lovely idea, a new idea for the repros perhaps or a trick for the photo?

Andyman

Nice detective work there, Lunik. Hopefully we will get some answers soon.