Photo

An interesting Forbidden Planet story (if it's true)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Joe K.

Joe K.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,715 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:48 PM

Check out the seller's description on this BIN ($25,000) or Best Offer item:

http://www.ebay.com/...item231f46684e

Edited by Joe K., 10 July 2012 - 07:00 PM.

Joe Knedlhans - Owner/Curator
The Toy Robot Museum @ Stoudtburg Village
Adamstown, Pennsylvania

#2 robothut

robothut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:00 PM

So when the auction goes away we have the listing.

I purchase public storage vaults at auctions. Today i bought a unit owned by a production company who purchased the rights to Forbidden Planet. High bid will get this 1956 FORBIDDEN PLANET Original Kodak 166 Color Negative 8x10 Belgium Robbie Robot or Robby how ever you spell it, made for making 42" posters, a true Cult Classic Film, Staring Walter Pidgeon, Anne Francis and Leslie Nielsen. CinemaScope Please check out pictures for best details, measures 10" X 8" Big and inside a sleeve. The markings are on the cover slip and Not the negative. I have a bunch of items from the remake movie including Reel to Reels, Film Clippings, Wardrobe and Scripts. They tried to remake the movie in 1993 and ran out of funds and was cancelled in 1996. I read they are in production an to release a new version of it in 2013. Own a piece of the old movie, A One of a kind item. The Original posters sell as high as $15,000 and this is the negative that made them. Feel free making offers. I will be listing it in the next couple of days to a week. Feel free asking questions. Please check out other items going up. Thanks

Attached Images

• $T2eC16ZHJGYE9noojej+BP8Leymg2g~~60_57.jpg

Edited by robothut, 10 July 2012 - 02:12 PM.

Visit the Robot Hut Museum
http://www.robothut.robotnut.com
John R.

#3 Morbius

Morbius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:29 PM

I saw the FP 'clacker' board yesterday from this seller, said it was original...looked newish to me just like the ones I saw around town a few years back in Toronto during TV shoots and film shoots during the workday before they went electronic/digital. Looked closer at the listing and see 1996 date, I do recall hearing something of a re-make quite a while ago but nothing after.

In regard to the poster negative, how do we know someone didn't just take a pic of their poster (maybe original) with a colour film camera to create this? I'd require some form of proof of authenticity for that kind of $$$. Could still be considered MGM's intellectual property if someone re-printed 'em.

Personally for that $$$ I'd rather have a Fred Barton/John Rigg Robby clicking away guarding the robot collection rather than a brittle negative to show friends. :breakit:

Edited by Morbius, 10 July 2012 - 02:41 PM.

Michael D. Le Blanc

"Sanity is the playground of the unimaginative."

#4 SH MIKE

SH MIKE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:21 PM

Here is the Positive.

fppos.jpg

#5 SarasotaRobby

SarasotaRobby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:34 PM

When I used to get color separations done for printing, they were from a positive transparency, or sometimes from reflective art. Not convinced this is for printing the poster, more likely copies on photo paper.

Of course now it's all digital, haven't done a color separation in 15 years.
SarasotaRobby