9 replies to this topic

#9 Ultrarobotman

Ultrarobotman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:36 PM

I was just thinking about this topic while out robothunting. You see a lot of chinese crap toys with ZERO quality control showing up, much more thought went into designing the box of these things than the toys and then I reflected back to actual great toys and toy robots. There was a pride in making something back then and into the 80's and 90's as well. Even in the Hong Kong rack toys and figures, there was art.

Yes, I truly believe in the post-war era there was a true pride and enjoyment of making tin toys and very artful box covers from the Japanese. To set the record, I am not totally on one side of the fence or the other as some are when it comes to Japan or China repros or originals, My collection contains both, but personally I enjoy admiring the boxes as much as the robots, mostly Japanese, though, of which I will always be partial to; those were my original childhood toys.

#10 Tengumaster89

Tengumaster89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:19 PM

I got this little guy at SDCC. By the time I made it to their booth only the pink was left so I got one of those. it's cute, but I agree not too imaginative. However, it's hard for me to say no to a tin robot at $10.
Will Translate Japanese for Robots!