#9 kennetzel

kennetzel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:07 PM

Welcome to Alphadrome Jeffreys.
See more of my Corel artwork at my Corel Draw Art Gallery Page at http://coreldraw.com...el/default.aspx

#10 funkrobotik

funkrobotik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:26 PM

Once bitten twice shy Jeffrey but we have all been there so don't let it put you off this hobby .
Read this forum,, pick up a book called 'Future Toys' and read that and you will pick up the basic knowledge you need in no time. :lecture: :frustrate:
Ian Bargh. UK Derbyshire

#11 Blechroboter

Blechroboter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:26 PM

Ooohh sorry I red it to fast and thought you were german to..

Uh, the Germans will play? Then I´m afraid I have to watch TV tonight :blush: :thumbs:
Blechroboter.de

Es kracht und zischt, der Roboter macht nischt. Er kam vom Mars, und das war´s!

#12 martijn

martijn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:27 PM

hi jeffrey good to see another dutch robothead here:)
too bad about your first robots, but keep it up! theres so many real robots to be found (especially in dordt:)

Edited by martijn, 17 June 2012 - 07:16 PM.

#13 Morbius

Morbius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,864 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:19 AM

Welcome jeffreys to the Alphadrome community, you will learn very much here by perusing the threads of these pieces of tin/plastic art.

BTW here is an original Mighty Robot wind-up from late '60s or so, they usually go for about $60-$100 boxed now...it's from daughter *Altaira's collection.

It was re-issued as said above about 5 years ago and sold in Canada for about $20, the litho is a little different and colour is more of a teal shade and shouldn't have an "N" on the back.

Happy collecting!!

Attached Images

• AAAAAsparky.jpg

Edited by Morbius, 18 June 2012 - 03:21 AM.

Michael D. Le Blanc

Sanity is the playground of the unimaginative.

#14 Robotopia

Robotopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:00 AM

Welcome to Alphadrome Jeffrey's -
I thought I would add a comment or two about buying vintage robots to help you out a little. One thing to pay attention to when buying Japanese toys from the 50s and 60s is that most of the toys will say "Japan" on the robot, or "Made in Japan." If it says China, Hong Kong or Taiwan then it's usually from the 70s or 80s or later. Many people are collecting these later Chinese toys from the 70s also and many are getting pricey. There are also many Japanese toys from the 70s, but are generally not as expensive as the ones from the 50s and 60s. Below are a few from the 50s and 60s that are generally under $50 on ebay when they don't have a box (and not including the cost of shipping.) It's a good idea to start on the low end until you get comfortable buying on ebay.

The bullet shaped robot is called Robot 7. There is a Taiwanese version of this but the key is solid. The earlier Japanese one has a wire key and says made in Japan on the back.
The other silver one is called a Mechanical Robot. Also commonly reproduced, but again the originals say Japan on them somewhere. It's a really great robot and actually kind of large for a windup.
The green one is of course the Mighty Robot. Also reproduced, but the original has a metallic look to the paint and says Japan on it. The fakes paint job is flatter without the metallic paint flecks. Originals are very common on ebay, and is a good first robot to buy since they come up fairly often.

Happy hunting!

Attached Images

• +••ROBOT-7_C7$20-$50.png
  • +••MechRobot$30-$75.jpg
  • +••MightyRobotV1_C9wbox$60 copy.png

Edited by Robotopia, 19 June 2012 - 04:01 AM.

Thomas Wood
Atlanta, GA

#15 Action Robot

Action Robot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 05:40 AM

Hi Jeffrey, welcome to the forum!
Sorry you got faked out on your first time buying "vintage" robots... if you want to get into the real thing, this is definitely the place to learn the difference!
At least you can console yourself by knowing that you got a few original artworks from another pretty talented graphic artist... ;) I'm still learning about vintage robots, and have found this to be my best source for sorting out the good stuff from the crap...
Cheers, Dave