Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Identifying These Robots

15 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello, My name is Jeffrey 19 years old and I'm from the Netherlands

I'm a graphic designer for theme parks.

I'm new here and till today I wasn't that enthusiastic about robot toys but I love the history and design of these

objects. And I'm a huge fan of 50's streamline design, space age, about the way they thought about the future back

then.

My question is, Today I bought these two old robot toys in boxes on a small flea market but I want to know some more information.

First one is "mechanical mighty robot" in a different box than the ones I found on google.

The second one is this gold robot that's placed in a wrong box (the box was for the television robot).

They both have numbers "mechanical" box has number 305 and the "television" box number 307

post-1680-0-81794800-1339918214.jpg

post-1680-0-97726300-1339918224.jpg

post-1680-0-14891800-1339918239.jpg

post-1680-0-36380800-1339918251.jpg

post-1680-0-61341900-1339918264.jpg

post-1680-0-27700200-1339918276.jpg

post-1680-0-06725200-1339918288.jpg

Posted

Hi Jeffreys, welcome aboard! :cheers:

Your robots are only 5 years old. They were made by dutch company Dekotrends.

Read more here:

Made my very first post about those artificially aged robots too:

(Special message to thx1138: I was faster :biggrin:)

Posted

Welcome to Alphadrome Jeffrey, I am sorry to have to tell you the robots you bought appear to be current reproductions that have been artificially aged and put in boxes that have had the same treatment, there is a post about them somewhere on Alphadrome, but I can't seem to find it at the moment. I seem to recall somebody in France was doing this and it has caught a lot of people out. Don't let it put you off, once you have had the real thing in your hands you will know why the relatively small group of us here on Alpha and the other collectors worldwide are so enthusiastic.

Posted (edited)

Blechroboter says - (Special message to thx1138: I was faster :biggrin:)

Edited by MetalRobotHead

Posted

Hey Jeffrey welcome to the club.

Wanted to answer a next door neighbour's question a bit sooner but couldn't, probably because the Germans (Blechroboter) had blocked to oppurtunity of answering a Dutch guy :) :) :). It's football time he!

But Blechroboter and Metalrobothead have allready explains things. Hope you aren't disappointed with the result.

If you need help, we are here!!!

(Special message to Blechroboter: GRRRRRRR :) )

Posted (edited)

too bad, with the gold one I already had a suspission that this wasn't original because it didn't had the ko logo (i red somewhere) and you could see some scratches were done with sanding paper, but they look so real (old) they even have the sparks and i found out the gold one has a switch on top (the ring), also the keys, and inside are rusted (long term)

It wouldn't bother me if they weren't worth anything. but it's the age that is bothering me..

better luck next time.

thx1138, hope you win with football tonight. So if we do were both through to the next round.

Edited by jeffreys

Posted

Jeffrey you made abig mistake. I'm Belgian. We do not play this time :) :) :)

Posted

Ooohh sorry I red it to fast and thought you were german to..

Posted

Welcome to Alphadrome Jeffreys.

Posted

Once bitten twice shy Jeffrey but we have all been there so don't let it put you off this hobby .

Read this forum,, pick up a book called 'Future Toys' and read that and you will pick up the basic knowledge you need in no time. :lecture: :frustrate:

Posted

Ooohh sorry I red it to fast and thought you were german to..

Uh, the Germans will play? Then I´m afraid I have to watch TV tonight :blush: :thumbs:

Posted (edited)

hi jeffrey good to see another dutch robothead here:)

too bad about your first robots, but keep it up! theres so many real robots to be found (especially in dordt:)

Edited by martijn

Posted (edited)

Welcome jeffreys to the Alphadrome community, you will learn very much here by perusing the threads of these pieces of tin/plastic art.

BTW here is an original Mighty Robot wind-up from late '60s or so, they usually go for about $60-$100 boxed now...it's from daughter *Altaira's collection.

It was re-issued as said above about 5 years ago and sold in Canada for about $20, the litho is a little different and colour is more of a teal shade and shouldn't have an "N" on the back.

Happy collecting!!

post-298-0-26084300-1339989564.jpg

Edited by Morbius

Posted (edited)

Welcome to Alphadrome Jeffrey's -

I thought I would add a comment or two about buying vintage robots to help you out a little. One thing to pay attention to when buying Japanese toys from the 50s and 60s is that most of the toys will say "Japan" on the robot, or "Made in Japan." If it says China, Hong Kong or Taiwan then it's usually from the 70s or 80s or later. Many people are collecting these later Chinese toys from the 70s also and many are getting pricey. There are also many Japanese toys from the 70s, but are generally not as expensive as the ones from the 50s and 60s. Below are a few from the 50s and 60s that are generally under $50 on ebay when they don't have a box (and not including the cost of shipping.) It's a good idea to start on the low end until you get comfortable buying on ebay.

The bullet shaped robot is called Robot 7. There is a Taiwanese version of this but the key is solid. The earlier Japanese one has a wire key and says made in Japan on the back.

The other silver one is called a Mechanical Robot. Also commonly reproduced, but again the originals say Japan on them somewhere. It's a really great robot and actually kind of large for a windup.

The green one is of course the Mighty Robot. Also reproduced, but the original has a metallic look to the paint and says Japan on it. The fakes paint job is flatter without the metallic paint flecks. Originals are very common on ebay, and is a good first robot to buy since they come up fairly often.

Happy hunting!

post-765-0-66588000-1340077170.png

post-765-0-27334600-1340077223.jpg

post-765-0-01285800-1340077646.png

Edited by Robotopia

Posted

Hi Jeffrey, welcome to the forum!

Sorry you got faked out on your first time buying "vintage" robots... if you want to get into the real thing, this is definitely the place to learn the difference!

At least you can console yourself by knowing that you got a few original artworks from another pretty talented graphic artist... ;) I'm still learning about vintage robots, and have found this to be my best source for sorting out the good stuff from the crap...

Cheers, Dave