4 replies to this topic

#1 Tinman

Tinman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:25 AM

I recently picked up this ceiling fixture dome at auction and think it'll go great in my collection room (Yes I hope to have it ready for display real soon). There's been one of these floating around ebay for quite some time but the asking price was a bit extreme. This auction was missing the electrical parts and only included the glass dome but I'm thinking it shouldn't be too hard to fabricate from modern ceiling fixture parts. The graphics include spacemen, rockets, planets, and even space woman in flying saucers!

$(KGrHqV,!k8E-bz5lqRzBPnW0tIkK!~~60_58.jpg

$(KGrHqJ,!l4E86ESQwRPBPnW0r2sBg~~60_58.jpg
Bill P.

#2 Electric Robot and Son

Electric Robot and Son

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:04 PM

Really great space ceiling fixture! These really do look good with space toy displays. There are three different styles in my sons space toy room. If you don't want to use it as a ceiling light, you can use it as a lamp shade for a table lamp. I found a really cool looking inexpensive chrome table lamp at Lowes that I have used with several different spacey ceiling fixtures, including one like yours.

Can't wait to see pics of your display room.
ER&S

Joe Markee

#3 Tinman

Tinman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:31 PM

Thanks Joe. I knew you had a couple styles so I did a search on Alphadrome and found the old thread. Your version of mine appears a little different in that it seems to have a scalloped border where mine does not, at least that's the way it looks in the pictures. I'm goint to mount mine on the ceiling, it may be a little less likely to get broken. There's still a boxed one of these on ebay, unfortunately it doesn't contain a date, I'm guessing 50's/early 60's.

Edited by Tinman93, 07 May 2012 - 03:32 PM.

Bill P.

#4 Electric Robot and Son

Electric Robot and Son

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:25 PM

You are right, mine does have a scalloped edge as part of the artwork. I'll bet these were pretty popular in boys bedrooms. Unfortunately once the kids get older and they want these taken down, they are pretty vulnerable unless packed away really well. They do show up, but not all that often. I don't have a date for these shades but the round blue ones I have (http://danefield.com...nd-space-lamps/) are pictured on page 115 of Collecting the Space Race by Stuart Schneider with a ca. 1955 date. Anybody else have one of these or other space lamps not shown in the previous post?
ER&S

Joe Markee

#5 Tinman

Tinman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:40 PM

I really like the round one Joe, you'll have to let me know if you see any pop up for auction.
Bill P.