Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dratomic

Space Toys at the Astronomy Convention

19 posts in this topic

I love that helmet, pure 50s comic book space opera. Just think what they could do with modern electronics, l.e.d.s, fiber optics, and luminescent films and wire. There was one on e-bay a few months back, and the box was labeled: SPACE HELMET, then AN ORBIT PRODUCT in a a gray band across a red circle. Below that is ORBIT PRODUCTS MFG. CO., INC. MILWAUKEE, WIS.

Does anyone know of any other toys made by Orbit Products Mfg., co.? I haven't been able to find anything about the company.

David.

‚Äč

David: I think part of the toy's charm is that they DIDN'T have modern electronics, fiber optics, etc. Working with the tech of the time they STILL managed to turn out a pretty amazing toy. :)

I remember the boxed one on eBay, but didn't remember all those details. Thanks for the additional info. And no, I've never heard of any Orbit Products toys... If there are others, and they're all as creative as this helmet... well, those would be something to see!

Hi Doc,

Great to visit with you at the NEAF Astronomy Show! Sorry I ddn't reply sooner. It always amazes me what a truly small world it is...

Astro toys and Astronomy "toys" just go to prove the notion that boys never outgrow their passion for stuff!

Very nice photos and I love the effect that the lens has in bringing the viewers attention to an item.

Anyway, glad to make the connection at NEAF.

Bob S.

It was great to see you again too, Bob. Definitely a surprise! You're right... it's all about the toys, of one type or another. :)

Glad to see you're well -- maybe we'll catch you again at the next one!