• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 RobotB9

RobotB9

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:00 PM

Thanks to all those who helped me identify the TOMY Magic Dial Space-Robo robot. For those that may not have seen the link, I've attached the stills from the 1969 Japanese film "Attack of the Monsters" shown in the US as "Godzilla's Revenge."

In the beginning of the film, a scene takes pace in a toymaker's workshop and you can see MANY vintage-era Japanese space toys in their original boxes. I'm sure you guys can identify more than I can! :) I'm kinda curious myself as to the identity of the big bronze robot on screen right in the third image down...and there's a rather interesting multi-colored robot in the second-to-last pic in the box above the Tomy Magic Dial Flying Saucer...

Attached Images

• TomySpaceRoboCombo_web.jpg

Edited by RobotB9, 25 April 2012 - 09:25 PM.

#2 Joe K.

Joe K.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,840 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:00 PM

Welcome, RobotB9.

A "cousin" of the big brown robot can be seen on the Alphadrome Database where it can be found under GIANT ROBOT - TOMY.

Here's the database photo (if the link works):

http://danefield.com...-1182717961.jpg

The red, white and blue saucer in the first two photos is Tomy's Jupiter Jyro, also found on the Database.

http://www.danefield.../thumb_jyro.jpg

It just so happens, I bought one of these (loose) at The Chicago Toy Show/BotStock 9 this weekend!

Edited by Joe K., 25 April 2012 - 09:26 PM.

Joe Knedlhans - Owner/Curator
The Toy Robot Museum @ Stoudtburg Village
Adamstown, Pennsylvania

#3 martijn

martijn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:28 PM

hi robot9, very cool to see the stills!
the tomy giant is a great robot! nice to see him in vintage foto's!
the multi-colored robot you ask is the japanese take apart tomy/child-guidance robot in the plastic case
the telephone in picture 4 is from the same serie toys

Edited by martijn, 25 April 2012 - 09:48 PM.

#4 plasticaugie

plasticaugie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:03 PM

The database has the tomy gear robot,
http://www.danefield...rds=on&type=AND

Usually it is called the Child guidance robot, it and many other vintage robots were made by tomy but do not carry a Tomy makers mark on the toy itself. Mr. Mercury, Mr. Atomic and Directional robot are other well known robots that were actually made by Tomy.
Tom

#5 Brian..

Brian..

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,195 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:21 AM

Mr. Mercury, Mr. Atomic and Directional robot are other well known robots that were actually made by Tomy.

Hey, Tom, that's fightin' talk. Can you point us at the evidence, because that's just the sort of detail that we love.

Brian Hayes

#6 martijn

martijn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:30 PM

hi tom are you sure about mr. mercury? I have not read about him being from tomy.
and what would NGS be? if directional (being the first of the yonezawa skirted) is from tomy,
and NGS is on boxes of some yonezawa skirted robots, is NGS from tomy???

here brian, evidence from bunkum about the directional being the first tomy robot

012.JPG

Edited by martijn, 26 April 2012 - 01:34 PM.

#7 plasticaugie

plasticaugie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:12 PM

Morita book, in the back where they meet with Tomy to discuss their great heritage. Everything on the table is tomiyama. Yes Tomy is the greatest tin toy robot manufacturer. This tomy dynasty even continues to this day and includes the OMNIBOTS :woohoo:

Edited by plasticaugie, 26 April 2012 - 07:15 PM.

Tom

#8 martijn

martijn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:02 PM

Morita book, in the back where they meet with Tomy to discuss their great heritage. Everything on the table is tomiyama. Yes Tomy is the greatest tin toy robot manufacturer. This tomy dynasty even continues to this day and includes the OMNIBOTS :woohoo:

thanks! for the first time i realize this whole chapter in morita is about tomy.
can you read/translate it?