Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Vintage TOMY Space toys in 1969 Godzilla Film

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thanks to all those who helped me identify the TOMY Magic Dial Space-Robo robot. For those that may not have seen the link, I've attached the stills from the 1969 Japanese film "Attack of the Monsters" shown in the US as "Godzilla's Revenge."

In the beginning of the film, a scene takes pace in a toymaker's workshop and you can see MANY vintage-era Japanese space toys in their original boxes. I'm sure you guys can identify more than I can! :) I'm kinda curious myself as to the identity of the big bronze robot on screen right in the third image down...and there's a rather interesting multi-colored robot in the second-to-last pic in the box above the Tomy Magic Dial Flying Saucer...

post-1659-0-38969600-1335383964.jpg

Edited by RobotB9

Welcome, RobotB9.

A "cousin" of the big brown robot can be seen on the Alphadrome Database where it can be found under GIANT ROBOT - TOMY.

Here's the database photo (if the link works):

The red, white and blue saucer in the first two photos is Tomy's Jupiter Jyro, also found on the Database.

It just so happens, I bought one of these (loose) at The Chicago Toy Show/BotStock 9 this weekend!

Edited by Joe K.

hi robot9, very cool to see the stills!

the tomy giant is a great robot! nice to see him in vintage foto's!

the multi-colored robot you ask is the japanese take apart tomy/child-guidance robot in the plastic case

the telephone in picture 4 is from the same serie toys

Edited by martijn

Posted · Report post

The database has the tomy gear robot,

http://www.danefield.com/data/thumbnails.php?search=child+guidance&submit=search&album=search&title=on&newer_than=&caption=on&older_than=&keywords=on&type=AND

Usually it is called the Child guidance robot, it and many other vintage robots were made by tomy but do not carry a Tomy makers mark on the toy itself. Mr. Mercury, Mr. Atomic and Directional robot are other well known robots that were actually made by Tomy.

Posted · Report post

Mr. Mercury, Mr. Atomic and Directional robot are other well known robots that were actually made by Tomy.

Hey, Tom, that's fightin' talk. Can you point us at the evidence, because that's just the sort of detail that we love.

hi tom are you sure about mr. mercury? I have not read about him being from tomy.

and what would NGS be? if directional (being the first of the yonezawa skirted) is from tomy,

and NGS is on boxes of some yonezawa skirted robots, is NGS from tomy???

here brian, evidence from bunkum about the directional being the first tomy robot

post-535-0-99120200-1335447255.jpg

Edited by martijn

Morita book, in the back where they meet with Tomy to discuss their great heritage. Everything on the table is tomiyama. Yes Tomy is the greatest tin toy robot manufacturer. This tomy dynasty even continues to this day and includes the OMNIBOTS :woohoo:

Edited by plasticaugie

Posted · Report post

Morita book, in the back where they meet with Tomy to discuss their great heritage. Everything on the table is tomiyama. Yes Tomy is the greatest tin toy robot manufacturer. This tomy dynasty even continues to this day and includes the OMNIBOTS :woohoo:

thanks! for the first time i realize this whole chapter in morita is about tomy.

can you read/translate it?

thanks! for the first time i realize this whole chapter in morita is about tomy.

can you read/translate it?

I have one Japanese friend I can run it by so we can get all the details.

Before I knew for sure about the history of Tomy I still knew in my gut about this connection. If you look at the Mechanical Walking Spaceman-

and then Mr. Mercury-

You will see many design features that are give away a common designer, more so than just the typical copied toy. It is like Mr Mercury JR as Son of Garloo is to Garloo and Franky JR is to the Marx Frankenstein.

As far as NGS being Tomy I am not sure but it would make sense and it also ties together the directional family of skirted robots with the Mr. Mercury parts as seen in Jupiter and the Cragstan Talking robot.

Edited by plasticaugie

Posted · Report post

I have one Japanese friend I can run it by so we can get all the details.

Before I knew for sure about the history of Tomy I still knew in my gut about this connection. If you look at the Mechanical Walking Spaceman-

and then Mr. Mercury-

You will see many design features that are give away a common designer, more so than just the typical copied toy. It is like Mr Mercury JR as Son of Garloo is to Garloo and Franky JR is to the Marx Frankenstein.

As far as NGS being Tomy I am not sure but it would make sense and it also ties together the directional family of skirted robots with the Mr. Mercury parts as seen in Jupiter and the Cragstan Talking robot.

thanks, I am very curious to the info in the morita book

yes now you say about comparing these 2 robots it can very good be the work of the same designers.

realizing yonezawa was the distibutor and tomy the maker of many robots we should need to make a family tree of all companies with all the info attached. probably there will only be 3 or 4 manufacturers at the base???

Posted · Report post

thanks, I am very curious to the info in the morita book

yes now you say about comparing these 2 robots it can very good be the work of the same designers.

realizing yonezawa was the distibutor and tomy the maker of many robots we should need to make a family tree of all companies with all the info attached. probably there will only be 3 or 4 manufacturers at the base???

Marumiya and Tomy probably account for the majority of all vintage robots.