112 replies to this topic

#1 MetalRobotHead

MetalRobotHead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 11:03 AM

To get back to my Mexican robot purchase, well it arrived yesterday safely without any problems. No opening from Customs and the package looking fresh.
The robot is absolutely prestine with its box hard to believe it was made around 1967. Trouble is it doesn't walk or rotate. The guns pop out, light up and make the usual rat a tat noise but just stands there. so the motor is working OK.
I haven't a clue what the problem could be and don't want to make too much of a fuss with the seller just yet. I'm thinking it could have a stuck or broken gear.

Once again I'm asking for help, any ideas please. sad.gif

Attached Images

• alpha.JPG

#2 larry seven

larry seven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 12:19 PM

smile.gif MetalRobotHead, if I'm remembering right, because the door and gun cycle does operate correctly, its is possibly a gear on the lower end, in any case, it would need opening the robot. It is such a beautiful example, you may not wish to open the tabs, just leave it. Or you may, either case, contact the seller, see if you can get a price break, and go from there. Good luck, -L7
Larry R Jones, -favorites: Mechanized Robot, Suzie Robette,
Nando Robot, Radicon Robot, Robot Lilliput, Atomic Robot Man,
Lavender Non-Stop Robot, Mr. Planet, Door Robot, Chief Robotman

#3 Tinman

Tinman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 12:41 PM

I agree with Seven, its such a nice example and would leave it as is. I'd be happy if it were sitting on my shelve!
Bill P.

#4 Morbius

Morbius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 02:09 PM

Sounds like a pinion gear slipping somewhere, however see if there's an area underneath where you can poke a WOODEN chopstick or similar item that won't scratch or do any damage into the insides to where the gears are (if you can see them). Give the pinion gear (s) or gears a little jiggle. This usually works for 'stuck' robots for me. I have a Star Strider which lights up and screams but does nothing else. I'll have to poke at him one day to get him active again.

Best of luck...he's too nice to open up. Don't think I'm that familiar with this particular one. Nice find; Mexico seems to have some really unique items.

Michael D. Le Blanc

Robby Rules!

#5 laserman

laserman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 02:32 PM

I know one hates to open such a nice example, but if you think you are going to purchase anymore simillar Horikawas of the same color in the future, go to a paint store that mixes paint and have them match it for touch ups. I had a mixed lacquer blend from Spectramaster (Spectramaster DK Neutral) called Metallic/Iridescent, value shade #7 made up.
Larry and Morbius are right about the gear in the lower area. When I disassembled one, I took several digital pictures of the disassembly process to help me put it back together. It may just be some dirt lodged inside. Someone may have sprayed something inside in hopes of cleaning it up. Some people think just spraying WD40 will help when it fact it sometimes gums things up worse.
Bob Aucutt Cedar Rapids, Iowa

#6 MetalRobotHead

MetalRobotHead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 03:20 PM

Thanks everybody. I am very reluctant to open up this one, I know its not a high end robot/astronaut but it is in very good condition and I wouldn't like to spoil it paintwork in any way.
Morbius,none of the gears are visible to have a prod at, thanks anyway.
Laserman if you've still got the pictures of the one you took apart I wouldn't mind seeing them to get an idea of how it rotates and then walks, seems like a fairly complex mechanism. The Chinese seem to have mastered it though with the Walkman. unsure.gif

#7 Morbius

Morbius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE(laserman @ Mar 25 2005, 09:32 AM)
Someone may have sprayed something inside in hopes of cleaning it up. Some  people think just spraying WD40 will help when it fact it sometimes gums things up worse.

Thanks for the note re:WD40. I've used this sparingly over the years in them, but I'll be more cautious from now on.
Maybe auto brakes/parts cleaner in a spray can....I use this on my 28 year old stereo amp when it craps out? It brings it right back. unsure.gif

Michael D. Le Blanc

Robby Rules!

#8 Joe K.

Joe K.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,882 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 03:26 PM

MRH -

Those three holes in the front (below the "guns") should allow you a visual into the chest cavity. If this rotate-o-matic is like the others, there should be a gear pressed onto the end of a shaft that moves up and down to transfer the movement from walking (when it's in the lower position) to rotating (when it's in the upper position). If you can see this shaft, try moving it (or a gear or cog attached to it) with Morbius' "chopstick" idea. It may just need to be un-stuck.
At least these three access holes will let you shine a light in, look in and "tool" in, all at the same time!
Joe Knedlhans - Owner/Curator
The Toy Robot Museum @ Stoudtburg Village
Adamstown, Pennsylvania