133 replies to this topic

#1 Sonny Young

Sonny Young

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 02:09 PM

EDITORS NOTE: This thread relates to a long misunderstood robot known for years as the Flower Robot. One eventually appeared on Ebay
KING KONG OF MARS - AKA FLOWER ROBOT - SHEN CHEN, HONG KONG

For many years an unidentified robot in Boogaert's reference book attributed to Horikawa and called the Flower Robot because of the strange psychedelic litho. Now identified as the King Kong of Mars made by the Shen Chen Toy Factory of Hong Kong. There is a Three Fir Tree logo on the Chinese box.

The style is a clear copy of the later Horikawa Attacking Martian style, but the head, chest and fly eye details are different. Two versions are known: one with a green head and on with a red head. One box is known. Recent examples of this robot have surfaced in Australia in 2009.
See also the Engine Robot which shares many features.

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

There was a $13,200 bid retraction. Jovigirl tweaked her bid, too. Last minute jitters? It should be interesting to see how this one pans out.

Here's one-- if this robot was offered to you, what would be the MOST you would pay for it?

#2 MetalRobotHead

MetalRobotHead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 04:33 PM

I might be going against popular opinion on this one, but I don't actually like it. So I would only pay whatever I thought I could get away with to enable me to resell with a useful profit. So there. wink.gif

#3 Morbius

Morbius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,489 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 04:55 PM

$200. max. biggrin.gif

Michael D. Le Blanc

"Sanity is the playground of the unimaginative."

#4 larry seven

larry seven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 05:37 PM

smile.gif I'd consider it in line with other one off prototypes that can be seen in museums , such as the SH rocket in chest or some of the Alps Rocketman prototypes of recent discovery. Several thousand would be tops for me, I recognize it's place in robot toy history by being in the book, but to me it's just not a great robot. -L7
Larry R Jones, -favorites: Mechanized Robot, Suzie Robette,
Nando Robot, Radicon Robot, Robot Lilliput, Atomic Robot Man,
Lavender Non-Stop Robot, Mr. Planet, Door Robot, Chief Robotman

#5 RotoBadger

RotoBadger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 07:24 PM

As a general rule I buy only what I like. What is appealing to me. If I saw this robot at a garage sale and I had no idea about it's value or history I would pass on it for $5. Seriously. I'm sorry I just think this is one effing ugly robot.

#6 Morbius

Morbius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,489 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 07:32 PM

...this robot reminds me of the childs story, "The Emperor's New Clothes"!!!! laugh.gif

I think for the $$ I'd rather have a full-size B9 or Robby!!

Michael D. Le Blanc

"Sanity is the playground of the unimaginative."

#7 mike van

mike van

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 09:15 PM

Rarity doesn't equal desire to me - I'll say butt ugly, one notch below Rotobadgers effing ugly. 25.00 top

#8 Mr.Zerox

Mr.Zerox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 09:47 PM

I love these fly eye Horikawa's but this one doesn't rock my boat, although the chest panel is interesting.

A change of mind as Jovigirl is back again on the Flower Robot! Butt ugly or not it looks like its down to her or Clowntrigger, unless they are sniped by an outsider!

Mr.Zerox
Northamptonshire, England