Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
robothut

ROBOTER 700 - AUGUST KNOCH

120 posts in this topic

What a wonderful thing to happen to such a great guy.

I'm sure you are very happy that you never sold that box.

It must have been in the stars that they were meant to

come together. Enjoy your vacation and tell us a good story

when you return... ^_^

Dirk, hope you are back and well from your vacation.

I am very happy for you and for the collectors world of robots that another sample of this super rare robot has found its way to the surface.

What a coincidence that you especially you got the Robot with a box waiting after all those years living in a foreign country.

The robot looks beautiful, even some parts are missing.

Is it still working ?

I have seen this robot only once in reality in now 28 years of robot collecting in another collection in Germany.

That one was found on a local flea market without box and broken antenna as well.

The robot previously shown with the box standing on a table in a garden was originally owned by Ive Taniou in France in the early 80s and was sold to a collector in the States (I guess in the late 80s ?).

I have to ask Ive about it.

Dirk, keep us informed about your story and background about this robot. I might add some small information from my side.

HI GERNOT!! THX for your cheers also. I'm still on vacation ( ... now in Slowenia ) - but very lucky to have an internet connection here... I will tell you everything, when I'm back. Great Topic about the ZOOMERS ! :)

Great find Dirk!! This has to be my all time favorite. Looking forward to any added history you and Gernot can add about this elusive robot.

The robot previously shown with the box standing on a table in a garden was originally owned by Ive Taniou in France in the early 80s and was sold to a collector in the States (I guess in the late 80s ?).

I have to ask Ive about it.

Could that be the one that went into the Goodwin Collection? Look forward to your return Dirk, and congratulations on your once-in-a-lifetime find!

ROBOT INVESTIGATIONS

PART 1

ROBOTER 700 – THE STORY

It must have been in the early 90s during one of my first visits to GERNOT in Darmstadt, when he showed me a picture of an unknown robot. Nobody around knew the name of that robot – it belonged to a man in France. The robot had a very unique design that wasn’t comparable to any other robot. There was only one rumor that he had been manufactured in Germany, and that he was made of plastic.

Many years later, a collector found another sample with the original box in a German flea market. Then we knew that his name was ROBOTER 700. Many thanks to VOLKER STRAUSS, who made the first investigation at the German Patent Office. Finally, he found the original patent and sent me a copy of that. The first announcement is dated - 24.Sept. 1959 – the final patent – 16.Jan. 1961. The robot had been manufactured at a German company named AUGUST KNOCH.

Of course, I hoped to discover a ROBOTER 700, or maybe only a few fragments of him at a flea market or at a toy show. Unfortunately, this desire remained completely unfulfilled. The years passed by, and I was almost surprised when a ROBOTER 700 BOX showed up at a well known internet auctioneer in the year 2002. I immediately sent an e-mail to the seller and started out just the next morning to have a look at that box in person. I nearly got a cardiac infarct when the man gave that box to me - this was really a perfectly original box from a ROBOTER 700! I explained that I collected toy robots, and that this box was quite rare. The man was a good guy and a collector for old trains and cars. So, I made an offer, and we came to an agreement shortly after. He had acquired the box together with a bunch of toys from a German auction house. That auction house also didn't have a clue what they were selling. The whole bunch in that picture went for a very low total amount, let's say - “dinner for two with a good glass of wine.” ;)

post-11-065785500 1289394594.jpg

post-11-022286600 1289394610.jpg

post-11-072794200 1289395192.jpg

post-11-051716600 1289395204.jpg

post-11-097992500 1289395216.jpg

I drove home and felt like the king of robot collecting. What a great find, and what fantastic box art! The patent number was there, but unfortunately, I didn't find the maker’s name on that box. Only ROBOTER 700 and a little logo with two kids or dolls and a key inside a circle. On one side flap was written, "This ROBOTER may be taken to pieces and put together again." I was a bit surprised when I saw a little sticker that read "Sweetheart Doll" glued right over the ROBOTER 700 logo on the top of the box. Somebody had written "SPARTHERMOMETER" on that sticker, and on one side, somebody had made a big X to cross out the robot. It was apparent that the shop had stored away a couple of different things in that box. Also, a little logo that said "I can dance DARLING" was on that sticker with two little puppets – similar to the mark on the side of the box. Fortunately, it was easy to remove that sticker with a wet piece of cloth. I kept this sticker to this day - it should take seven more years to get more information about that.

post-11-088367600 1289396059.jpg

post-11-080395500 1289396067.jpg

post-11-070085600 1289396077.jpg

post-11-086133700 1289396088.jpg

post-11-003913500 1289396107.jpg

post-11-052409400 1289396132.jpg

I'd always assumed this was a really big robot like Mr. Atom. Seeing that box next to other toys, now it looks like it's maybe nine inches. How big is he? How does he come apart?

Great great story! More please!

This is fantastic Drik and you story leaves us wanting more!!!!

Great pictures and nice box find!

Sent chills up my spine....Great story....congrats nasa

My wish grew stronger to get some more information about the manufacturer of this great robot and that fantastic box! Unfortunately, I didn't find enough time for making such an enterprise, with all the other things like my job, the house and family taking up all the time.

So, the time passed by, and thankfully, after another six years, the ROBOTER 700 crossed my path again. At a well known internet auction house in England – a nameless plastic robot was offered. The pictures were very bad – mostly black and white and very tiny. It had the correct shape of a ROBOTER 700 – so, I took the risk and placed a bigger bid on it. However, I was not the only lurker who had spotted that robot – and I had great luck to be the winner at the end of the auction. (SO SORRY XRIS!)

post-11-096631000 1289404948.jpg

post-11-049565600 1289404955.jpg

Curious and very excited, I was waiting to receive my valuable package. In the pictures, the robot seemed to be a little small. Now, I realized that he is the same size of the DUX ASTROMAN. I will show a comparison picture later. One hand was missing and so was his nice antenna. Otherwise, the robot seemed to be complete. The wind-up mechanism was still working very well. I impatiently opened the robot to have a look inside.

I didn’t expect such a big clockwork mechanism! The leg mechanisms were driven by that clockwork. It was necessary to move the arms back and forward, and the head could turn from the left to the right. The walking mechanism was amazing to me. The legs move back and forward, while little brass wheels were coming out of his feet. These are steered with a sort of eccenter inside his legs. I was very astonished upon opening his head to find a small battery compartment. Unfortunately, I never found the correct size of batteries to fit in that compartment.

post-11-033260900 1289405283.jpg

post-11-048510000 1289405322.jpg

post-11-010241300 1289406283.jpg

post-11-023791600 1289406293.jpg

Outside the head, the original bulbs had lost their paint. Inside the head, the original paint was still present. On my next visit in Darmstadt, GERNOT found out that the bulbs had a bi-metal switch inside. We tested them, and both are still working.

post-11-043220000 1289406611.jpg

post-11-054855900 1289406622.jpg