120 replies to this topic

#1 Mr.Zerox

Mr.Zerox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 08:39 AM

Ranger's excellent photos of his Dalek collection has got me thinking on how far these toys have spread through out the world, so as a piece of fun:

Who has a Dalek or Mechanoid toy from Dr.Who in their collections?

Some photos would be very nice! smile.gif

Here a couple of mine for starters.

Attached Images

• Dalek_Toys.jpg

Northamptonshire, England

#2 Mr.Zerox

Mr.Zerox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 03:25 PM

Oh well, if the Daleks don't interest any of you, here are some caricatures of the Doctor's for you to laugh at! biggrin.gif

Attached Images

• Doctors.jpg

#3 MetalRobotHead

MetalRobotHead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 09:28 PM

How about one of these for your Dr Who collection. Not mine, just seen it on ebay.

Attached Images

• dr_who.JPG

#4 larry seven

larry seven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 12:10 AM

smile.gif I like Daleks. I've bid on a lot of original Marx Daleks, but I've never gotten any of them. I picked up one of the Talking Daleks in the blue color recently, it is on the right, and I picked up one of the new little tin clockwork Daleks last year, on the left. I love both of them, and I was sort of thinking about adding a red Marx Dalek to the group. Now someone please tell us all about Dalek toys. Is the Marx worth the money, or are they disappointing? Is the tin clockwork Dalek that I have very similar to the original Tin Dalek? What about the Dapol Daleks, are they worth the money? Aren't they a small friction toy? Thanks, -Larry 7

Attached Images

• daleks_001.jpg

Larry R Jones, -favorites: Mechanized Robot, Suzie Robette,
Nando Robot, Radicon Robot, Robot Lilliput, Atomic Robot Man,
Lavender Non-Stop Robot, Mr. Planet, Door Robot, Chief Robotman

#5 Mr.Zerox

Mr.Zerox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 12:22 AM

Hi Larry 7,

I can write a book here for you about Dalek toys, just let me know if you want more details?

Marx brought out 3 different Dalek in the 60's, a 6 inch battery operated Bump & Go (known quaintly as Tricky Action in England!). Now there are two issues of this Dalek,1964 and 1965, the difference is the Eye stalk. The first issues looks like a big red Toffee apple, the second issue eye stalk is a lot smaller.

Next was a 6 inch Construction kit (it was produced from the same mould as the Bump & Go). You glued it together then painted it, put it on the shelf and that was it.

The last toy produced was a 4 and half inch friction drive Dalek.

Marx later reissued the Bump & Go Daleks in 1974 in Red and Yellow, these are harder to find than the original 60's version.

The new Clockwork Daleks are awful compared to the original 60's clockwork Dalek. The New ones may be a little more accurate to their TV counterparts, but they have none of the charm of an original 60's version. A really fine example of a 60's Clockwork Dalek, mint in box, will set you back between 1,200 to 1,500!

I will post photos for you tomorrow.

In the meantime if you want to know more about the rarer Dalek toys like the Herts Plastic Dalek & Mechonoid, just let me know. I hope you find the above of help and interest. smile.gif

#6 (id)

(id)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 02:25 AM

I have a pair of Dalek salt and Pepper shakers (ironic, huh?).

I think the Daleks are great, such a fantastic villian. The opening of Dr Who used to scare the bejesus out of me, luckily there was a couch to hide behind. Have to say, Tom Baker was definitely the best Doctor. Worst moment: the americanised TV special that came out a few years ago (no offence intended to our american friends) but seriously, the Doctor riding on a motorbike with a chick on the back? Come on... As for a new (?) version, I'm scared, but I'll reserve judgement... dry.gif

#7 larry seven

larry seven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 04:52 PM

smile.gif That's cool, thanks Mr. Zerox! Please tell us more, as I don't know much about them. I already know now that I want a red Marx big bump and go!
Larry R Jones, -favorites: Mechanized Robot, Suzie Robette,
Nando Robot, Radicon Robot, Robot Lilliput, Atomic Robot Man,
Lavender Non-Stop Robot, Mr. Planet, Door Robot, Chief Robotman

#8 Mr.Zerox

Mr.Zerox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 09:18 PM

Marx "Bump & Go" Daleks

Here's a photo of both 1964 (top) and 1965 issues of the Black Dalek. Note the different Boxes and the size of the Eye. The 1964 issue is the hardest to find of the two. Both Daleks are six and half inches tall with a flashing light can be seen through the neck section of the body. It also came in Silver.

Attached Images

• MarxDaleks1964_65.jpg