7 replies to this topic

#1 Steve's Bots and Rays

Steve's Bots and Rays

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:37 AM

I've been working on a linocut-type illustration lately of the Greek robot Talos, patrolling the streets of ancient Crete. Though Talos was created to protect Europa, there is trouble lurking in the shadows. I always thought the ones depicted in ancient coins and art were too human in appearance for my taste...including the one from Jason and the Argonauts. Original illustration is 16" X 24". Thanks for looking. -Steve

Talos2sml.jpg

Edited by Steve's Bots and Rays, 03 March 2012 - 08:31 PM.

"No, I'm from Iowa. I only work in outer space."

#2 Tinplate6

Tinplate6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:01 PM

Really nice artwork Steve, you do amazing stuff! :) So, when do we actually get to see this titan of a robot? :huh:

Oh, and I like how the Buck Rogers type gun is quietly worked into the illustration, very understated, but effective. ;)

Edited by Tinplate6, 03 March 2012 - 06:03 PM.

#3 Steve's Bots and Rays

Steve's Bots and Rays

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:36 PM

Thanks Brady. Yep, nothing subtle about that! I've 'toned it down' a bit. ;)
I do have my GreekBot almost finished. His actual dimensions certainly don't live up to his portrayal in history though. :lol:
-Steve

#4 Phil R

Phil R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,526 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:42 PM

That's what art is all about, evolving. This woodcut look is really a departure for you. I really like the drama and period combination of Greek and steampunk. And of course, one of my favorites, Buck Rogers. An excellent rendering. Were you inspired by Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow?

Attached Images

• robots.JPG

Phil Redman, York, PA

#5 Andyman

Andyman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 02:44 PM

Nice work, Steve. Are per chance a graphic artist by profession? If not...you missed your calling. ;)

(forgive me if you have already divulged this info. I getting old and forgetful. ;))

#6 Steve's Bots and Rays

Steve's Bots and Rays

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:43 PM

Thanks Phil. I've always liked the aesthetic of Sky Captain's bots and rays. The design of GreekBot in the illustration, however, was inspired by the objects I've gathered together to build him. I'm still working on his paint job but I do have a 'modern' version of him finished. -Steve

#7 Steve's Bots and Rays

Steve's Bots and Rays

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:59 PM

Nice work, Steve. Are per chance a graphic artist by profession? If not...you missed your calling. ;)

(forgive me if you have already divulged this info. I getting old and forgetful. ;))

Thanks Andy, sorry I missed your question. Yes, I'm a graphic design director by trade. -Steve

Edited by Steve's Bots and Rays, 21 March 2012 - 06:00 PM.

#8 Roboto

Roboto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:51 PM

One very cool looking illustration. :)
My heart is human, my blood is boiling, my brain IBM Domo arigato Mr. Roboto