7 replies to this topic

#1 Tinplate6

Tinplate6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:41 AM

About 15 years or so ago, I happened to be on the internet, browsing with my new iMac Blueberry terminal, at a blazing 333MHZ! :lol: Anyway, I stumbled across the Toy Ray Gun website, and was immediately thunderstruck by the seemingly endless variety and colorful designs of these toy space guns. I eventually struck up an online friendship with Gene Metcalf, and began collecting. At the time, he had a section on the site called "ray gun talk", much like what we now call Alphadrome. After researching the many photos of guns produced over the years, I decided that I would photoshop my own concept of the perfect ray gun. So, I cobbled together the picture you now know as my avatar...the Neutron Ray. :wub:

neutron raycopy.jpg

Over the years, I had forgotten about the post I had made then. Several months ago, I was scouring the ether, searching for photos of ray guns :unsure: , and I spotted one that looked very familiar...too familiar :huh: , it was my fantasy space pistol, and it was being used by a blog site called "The Freeman". The image was being used to illustrate a proposed crowd control weapon "The Pain Ray"...not very complimentary, I must say -_- .

article.jpg

As time went on, I was again on eBay, searching for guns, and came across a piece of art made by a fellow named Verbek, who created works from glass powders and beads, which when heated under high temperatures would fuse into a "glass painting". The topic of this Sci-Fi masterpiece again looked familiar...yup, my gun :rolleyes: . I bid on the piece and won it, but when I mentioned that he had perhaps borrowed this from my original concept, he denied it. Dunno, it looks a bit too close to be coincidence. :blink:

IMG_4666.jpg

Three days ago, I was looking for something to use as wallpaper for my desktop, and came across this great painting done by an artist named Adam Simpson. The work "Ray Guns-2009" shows several examples of well-known toy guns realized in various colors, a really cool illustration.

download2.jpg

However, upon examining the work closer, I noticed one gun, that was never put into production...I'm sure you already guessed which one.

close up.jpg

After retrieving the wallpaper, I was just about to log off, when I spied another familiar form, a watercolor sketch by an artist named Jez Whitworth . Hmmm...? :mellow:

download-3.jpg

yup, so, I guess I should feel honored that all these folks liked my gun well enough to use it as their muse, as for me, well I'm just a-mused. ;)

#2 Andyman

Andyman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:20 AM

It cracks me up that they think it's a real toy ray gun.

#3 astrogonza

astrogonza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:21 AM

very interesting story !
will be nice to tell all these guys the real story, ,

#4 Steve's Bots and Rays

Steve's Bots and Rays

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:42 AM

Quite the story Brady. Not quite the Six Degrees of 'Neutron Ray' ...but close!
It'd be nice to have a real one of those.
-Steve
"No, I'm from Iowa. I only work in outer space."

#5 JimK

JimK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:02 PM

It cracks me up that they think it's a real toy ray gun.

It is a real toy ray gun Andy. I have seen one up close and personal. :P

JimK

#6 Andyman

Andyman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:21 PM

It is a real toy ray gun Andy. I have seen one up close and personal. :P

JimK

True that. Maybe I should have said a real "production" toy ray gun. ;)

#7 Tinplate6

Tinplate6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:21 PM

Indeed gentlemen, through the generosity of a fellow Alphadromer, I have obtained the only example of the prototype known to exist! :blink:

Here is a picture of the cool retro box art.

IMG_4678.jpg

The gun itself is beautiful and came in a fitted box.

IMG_4667.jpg

The piece has some heft to it, and would definitely deter any alien regardless of which galaxy it came from! ^_^

IMG_4669.jpg

IMG_4675.jpg

Edited by Tinplate6, 03 March 2012 - 12:23 AM.

#8 Andyman

Andyman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:13 PM

This just got me thinking...as many robots, saucers and ray guns I have out there, I can't believe I haven't seen any on ebay or any of my photos taken for other purposes.