7 replies to this topic

#1 dratomic

dratomic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:22 PM

I've been waiting weeks to get my hands on this... I won it before leaving for India and only opened the package today! A torturous wait!

This particular gun was made by Ideal in the 1950s. I can't seem to find too much info about it -- hopefully some of you with better google skills (ANZ?) can dig up a specific name and date. The gun itself is uncommon but not exactly rare. The trigger turns an internal crank which makes a lot of noise... Pretty straight forward. There's also a much rarer orange version.

What makes this particular example special is the Ideal sample tag hanging off the barrel. I'm guessing the gun was used as either an internal quality control sample -- something shown to the higher ups at Ideal before sending it to market -- or perhaps as a salesman or toy fair sample. Regardless, it's pretty much the last stage before the toy ended up in stores. Pre-production stuff is SO rare in this hobby, it's always a thrill to find some. I've seen sample tags on space toys from Marx before, but this is the first time I've seen an Ideal tag... TOY MEMORIES, if you're out there, I'm hoping you can shed a little more light on this one. :)

ideal_gun.jpg

Brian
Click to read my vintage space toy blog. It's fun!
newlogoSMALL.jpg

#2 Tinplate6

Tinplate6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:44 PM

Nice snag there Doc :huh: ...very nice! :blink: It definitely has the coolness factor...congratulations! :)

#3 dieselbot

dieselbot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:00 AM

I found this gun originally at a Syracuse, NY antique show. An older woman had it at her booth. It was exciting to spot this amongst a table of Roseville, Hummels, and depression glass. I asked her about the mysterious tag and she wasn't able to shed any light on it.
Glad to see that you won it!

Edited by dieselbot, 22 February 2012 - 11:07 AM.

#4 Phil R

Phil R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:16 AM

Brian, I can imagine how you felt when you saw that tag. An extra bit of history about to be in your hands is an exhilarating feeling. Several times in my life I acquired something that turned out to be both exciting, extremely satisfying and unexpected.
Phil Redman, York, PA

#5 bigbang

bigbang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:16 AM

Nice pick up Brian. It's called Ideal's Man-O-Mars Screech Gun.Ideal Gun 1.jpg

#6 dratomic

dratomic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:44 PM

Thanks, Dieselbot. I'm glad you let the auction ride. :)

Thanks for the info Bigbang. "Screech Gun." Yeah, that pretty much describes it...

You said it, Phil: It's about the history of these toys. Even something like a sample tag gets you a little closer to the process of it all. It's definitely exciting when a piece like this lands in a collection.

Brian
Click to read my vintage space toy blog. It's fun!
newlogoSMALL.jpg

#7 JohnA

JohnA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:08 AM

Saweet, Brian! Super cool piece and good to see you get a name. I'm not surprised at who helped supply it. Your pics always make my head spin, bigbang. LOL

John
John J. Alvarez
Editor
http://www.theswca.com

#8 Tinman

Tinman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:31 PM

Very nice Doc, congratulations! I was gonna ask what the gun did but the above posts and photos said it all. The gearing on the back of the trigger told me it spun something up internally.
Bill P.