8 replies to this topic

#1 Tin Head

Tin Head

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 12:44 AM

Here are a few more spacemen that I purchased. Don't know a thing about spacemen....liked 'em so I bought 'em. Looks like one of them is from my "Cake Toppers" but unpainted. Can someone tell me something about these? It's appreciated. :unsure: :blush: :)

Attached Images

• SP1 copy.jpg
  • SP2 copy.jpg
  • SP3 copy.jpg

#2 Tinman

Tinman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,077 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 02:25 AM

TH, the figure you refer to as a cake topper isn't, it's probably a vintage Ajax figure. If you compare it to the cake topper version you'll probably see it has sharper detail and a better appearance and feel. The Ajax figures were made in the US while the cake toppers were probably made elsewhere. The remaining figures you have were made by Premier and appear to be in good, unbroken condition. A lot of times the Premier figures have broken air hoses and gun barrels. Looks like you have a nice collection going!

Edited by Tinman93, 27 August 2011 - 02:37 AM.

Bill P.

#3 Tinman

Tinman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,077 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 02:34 AM

I also wanted to point out the figures can be different from on another. If you look at the three highlighted Premier figures you'll notice a difference in the chest piece. The lightning bolts on the other figure, the one with the air hose, will also vary.

post-1534-0-49738600-1314405740.jpg
Bill P.

#4 Tinman

Tinman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,077 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 02:41 AM

Heck, look at the difference between these two:

post-1534-0-49738600-1314405740.jpg
Bill P.

#5 Tin Head

Tin Head

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 03:51 AM

Thanks for the info and for pointing out the differences, Tinman93. After you pointed them out, I took a closer look and this is what I found:

The "cake toppers" have "HONG KONG" stamped on them in two places. The Ajax figure is not only crisper, as you suggested, but has a number "11" stamped on his left shoulder.

Attached Images

• 1kong.jpg
  • 1aKong.jpg
  • 211.jpg

#6 Tin Head

Tin Head

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 03:56 AM

Also, you are right about the Premier figures being different. Here are a few more variations between the two figures you highlighted. Notice the rivets on the gauntlets and around the neck of one are not on the other. The rifles are different too.

Attached Images

• rifle1.jpg
  • rifle2.jpg

#7 Tinman

Tinman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,077 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:39 AM

Good eye. It's funny how toys manufactured by the same company could be so different from one another. Unfortunately, I'm not certain if they came out of the same building or from different parts of the country but being from the early days of plastic toy manufacturing I would think the first is true.

Edited by Tinman93, 27 August 2011 - 10:41 AM.

Bill P.

#8 pEEgEE

pEEgEE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:12 PM

Patent infringement was avoided in them there
days by enterprising knockoff artists who merely 'improved' an existing figure. Article in Playset Magazine awhile back explains more ...