Custom Search

Photo

Kinda Off Topic: Original Death Star Prop!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 dratomic

dratomic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,323 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 04:56 AM

I just picked up this original, production-used Death Star panel prop. It's from Star Wars (as in, the first one), and comes from the collection of Richard Edlund, who was the Director of Special Effects Photography on Star Wars.

death_star1.jpg

death_star2.jpg

The panel is 3 x 3 inches, and made of a rigid foam. It was used for long-range shots of the Death Star when detail wasn't too important. (Larger panels were used for close ups, and an actual, spherical model was used for the really wide shots -- I know the guy who owns this one, btw!)

Yeah, this piece was actually used in Star Wars, though don't bother trying to find it; most of the shots in which it would appear are pretty much grey blurs. :)

I'm a huge SW nerd, and having an opportunity to own any original prop or FX piece is a huge thrill. I figured someone here might find it interesting... And if not, Brian, feel free to bounce it to the OT section.

Brian
Click to read my vintage space toy blog. It's fun!
newlogoSMALL.jpg

#2 robobob

robobob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 05:18 AM

Keen !!! :)
Bob Moline

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
Albert Einstein

#3 MaxPower

MaxPower

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 05:22 AM

Congratulations, Doc!
Most (all?) of us are Star Wars fans, so yeah, we get it ;)
That's definitely something that belongs in your Attic of Astounding Artifacts all right.
MaxPower

#4 astrogonza

astrogonza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 11:16 AM

Love STAR WARS !!!!
congratulations.

#5 Andyman

Andyman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,333 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 02:08 PM

I didn't know the Death Star blew up in perfectly square pieces of debris. ;)

Nice score, Doc!

#6 Morbius

Morbius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,577 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 02:12 PM

Astoundng Artifact it is, we understand it Doc! Thanks for showing this, interesting piece of film history.

I recall at Disney World a few years back, they had NB Xmas prop of the town, couldn't believe how rough it all was in reality but looked so smooth and real in the film, I guess that's why it's called film magic. Don't know if with the detail we have in digital media if it would pass scrutiny now.

Edited by Morbius, 09 July 2011 - 02:14 PM.

Michael D. Le Blanc

"Sanity is the playground of the unimaginative."

#7 kennetzel

kennetzel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 06:40 PM

That is really sweet. A true piece of movie history there. Something to really be proud of.
See more of my Corel artwork at my Corel Draw Art Gallery Page at http://coreldraw.com...el/default.aspx

#8 JohnA

JohnA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 08:50 PM

KILLER piece, Bri! I have had some VERY minor props in the past. I had a half of Krayt bone, a piece of the Lars homestead dome, and some pieces of the skiff. I sold the bone and house to fund another piece. I've always thought about one day owning a piece of the DS and a tower. Neat pieces to be sure. Kudos!!!

John
John J. Alvarez
Editor
http://www.theswca.com