Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Kinda Off Topic: Original Death Star Prop!

14 posts in this topic

Posted

I just picked up this original, production-used Death Star panel prop. It's from Star Wars (as in, the first one), and comes from the collection of Richard Edlund, who was the Director of Special Effects Photography on Star Wars.

post-124-0-49179000-1310187383.jpg

post-124-0-12076400-1310187393.jpg

The panel is 3 x 3 inches, and made of a rigid foam. It was used for long-range shots of the Death Star when detail wasn't too important. (Larger panels were used for close ups, and an actual, spherical model was used for the really wide shots -- I know the guy who owns this one, btw!)

Yeah, this piece was actually used in Star Wars, though don't bother trying to find it; most of the shots in which it would appear are pretty much grey blurs. :)

I'm a huge SW nerd, and having an opportunity to own any original prop or FX piece is a huge thrill. I figured someone here might find it interesting... And if not, Brian, feel free to bounce it to the OT section.

‚Äč

Posted

Keen !!! :)

Posted

Congratulations, Doc!

Most (all?) of us are Star Wars fans, so yeah, we get it ;)

That's definitely something that belongs in your Attic of Astounding Artifacts all right.

Posted

Love STAR WARS !!!!

congratulations.

Posted

I didn't know the Death Star blew up in perfectly square pieces of debris. ;)

Nice score, Doc!

Posted (edited)

Astoundng Artifact it is, we understand it Doc! Thanks for showing this, interesting piece of film history.

I recall at Disney World a few years back, they had NB Xmas prop of the town, couldn't believe how rough it all was in reality but looked so smooth and real in the film, I guess that's why it's called film magic. Don't know if with the detail we have in digital media if it would pass scrutiny now.

Edited by Morbius

Posted

That is really sweet. A true piece of movie history there. Something to really be proud of.

Posted

KILLER piece, Bri! I have had some VERY minor props in the past. I had a half of Krayt bone, a piece of the Lars homestead dome, and some pieces of the skiff. I sold the bone and house to fund another piece. I've always thought about one day owning a piece of the DS and a tower. Neat pieces to be sure. Kudos!!!

John

Posted

Wow!................Wow! The force is strong with you young Brian!

Congrats!

Posted

Thanks, everyone. Glad you enjoyed this little diversion. :)

Andy: I know! Who'd have thought it. Makes clean up much easier, I guess. Lol.

Morbius: You can really get a sense of the "movie magic" when you look at pieces like this. They're just foam and paint up close, but add the right lighting, angles, and some blur and suddenly you've got a section of the most powerful space weapon in the galaxy! (Until some damn kids blew it up, of course...) I think that's why I like props -- they're a window into the whole process of filmmaking. My GF asked if seeing the prop up close takes away some of the magic of the film -- nope! Just makes me appreciate what the guys at ILM did even more. :)

John: I'd love to own a tower. I saw one at Vic and Lisa's and was really impressed (even among all their other stuff, it stood out). I dunno if I'll ever get that deep into props -- talk about expensive! -- but it's fun to think about.

Posted

I think its cool.

I never realized that people collect this as well... but nothing in the world of collecting seems to be " normal " hahahahaha

Congrats, I can feel the feeling with this part.... a part of HISTORY !

Marco

Posted

Marco -- Prop collecting is a huge hobby. There are people out there with some amazing pieces from all different types of movies. I doubt I'll ever get too deep into it -- it can get really pricey -- but I'm happy to own a few select pieces here and there.

Posted

That's an astounding artifact alrighty.

Where do the batteries go !!! :blink:

Posted

Marco -- Prop collecting is a huge hobby. There are people out there with some amazing pieces from all different types of movies. I doubt I'll ever get too deep into it -- it can get really pricey -- but I'm happy to own a few select pieces here and there.

Never realized that to be honnest

Only Prop I almost owned was a Delorean many years agoo :) The movie had 3 cars they used, one was for sale.....

I ALMOST bought it..... can you imagine, a Delorean with a real FLUX Capacitor hahahahahaah

I wanted to use it to go back to the fifties and sixties to buy ROBOTS HAHAHAHAH

Anyway, I think you have a very nice piece, congrats again, Its great to own a piece of history !

COOL

Marco