Sign in to follow this  
ANZinSpace

Pierwood Plastic Spaceships

ANZinSpace

In the fifties Pierwood Plastics signed a deal with Louis Marx to produce their toys in Australia. Recently I just missed out on buying a toy catalogue which showed two of the spaceships that resulted from that deal. The catalogue was dated January 1954. So now I have some new items to add to my to find list. I'm also thinking of contacting the buyer to see if they'll send me a better quality picture.

post-1110-073563200 1288435401.jpg

Tinman

Great find ANZ, I've never heard of Pierwood before. A nice example of the double-hull ship, the ship at the top of your photo, just sold on ebay for a great price. A better pic from the buyer would be great to add to this thread, give it a try!

ANZinSpace

No worries I've already asked the seller (I bought the other issue of the Retailer catalogue for December 1953) so I asked them if they wouldn't mind letting the buyer know I was interested.

As to Pierwood it was an Aussie company that besides making and selling plastic items including toys also had a thriving business in leasing forms and molds between Australian companies and overseas companies.

Oh before I forget did you get my email/PM?

Tinman

Yes I did and I already responded, I'm not sure why you didn't receive it. Basically, I'm out of hobby funds until I pay off a few of the high-dollar items I recently purchased. I really like the Premier-like figure but I guess I'll have to wait a while before adding a Moldex spaceman or two to my collection. Sacrifices!

Brian..

These spaceships are marked MIP -  Moldex Injection Plastics.

Moldex bought out Pierwood in 1954 and set up a separate company MIP to produce the plastic toys. So these are Moldex spaceships being distributed by Pierwood, This press cutting tells the story.

nla_news-page000002047614-nla_news-article50614515-L5-80f23e6c41e46f4fbfa7142c60156c51-0001.jpg

Red Dwarf

G'day everyone, here are some pictures of my Moldex Twin Jet in swirled bronze with yellow base, Aussie variation of X-400 Space Explorer . Unfortunately as with most old hard plastic toys it has issues, the two top rear fins are missing their tips and no wheels . So here's the thing, should I get it repaired ? Or leave well enough alone. Wheels should be a easy fix but the fins are another story . If I do get it repaired can you recommend someone who will do a good job of it . Appreciate any advice or comments.  :blush:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Red Dwarf

He's a photo of the makers mark sorry about the poor quality.

It reads :      MiP

M646

image.jpg

Brian..

Congratulations on this great find. I wouldn't recommend a permanent repair it, though. You could make parts that would sit in place without strong gluing. A reversible cosmetic repair is always best and is the method used by museums.

If you ever decide to part with it - or find another, I'm your man!

Red Dwarf

Thanks Brian , I could hardly Believe it when I saw it in the toy dealers display cabinet and then to find he didn't value it !!

I had to contain my excitement and got him to throw in with another toy so basically I got it for nothing . You're right I'll leave it as is , it's not too bad i'll just track down some suitable wheels.

Tinman

Fantastic ship!!!  I'd leave it alone, it's the first one I've seen.  I'm a little confused by the ANZ-Red Dwarf thing though...is it something like Clark Kent & Superman?

Tinplate6

Red Dwarf, that Twin-Jet is an exceptional find, and a great story to go with it. Congratulations!

Red Dwarf

Thanks Tinman and Tinplate6 , yeah I think it's pretty super cool piece . Tinman as for Clark Kent and Superman thing I hear what you're saying , ANZ does a lot of fantastic research so he's the reporter Clark Kent therefore I must be Superman ......

Sorry gentleman there is no time to lose .... 

Super hearing detects a cry for help from

Lois Lane......

It's up up up and away .

Tinman

I think Brian edited his post so the whole Clark Kent-Superman won't make sense to future readers...but yeah, you guys are super!

ANZinSpace

Damn another one for me to find. One good thing is it confirms the version shown in this ad - Sun newspaper 1954 - is most likely made in Australia.