8 replies to this topic

#1 Brian..

Brian..

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 05:51 PM

Poplar Plastics was a Welsh company producing a variety of plastic items including toys. The boxes and header cards carry their PP logo. They appear to have borrowed molds from other companies. Their spaceman series, called "Space Commandos" is a straight copy of the American Thomas Toys originals. The figures usually appear appear in silver and bronze and are made of a distinctive rubbery plastic. The ones shown here include ones with painted details, probably home grown. The figures were sold attached to a simple backing card with an attractive space scene. I have one somewhere and will add a scan as soon as I find it!

The set comprises:
1 Alien holding a club-like weapon over his left shoulder
2 Spaceman holding pistol in his right hand, left hand on box at waist
3 Spaceman with axe in right hand, pistol in left hand
4 Spaceman with spiked helmet holding pistol in right hand, left hand empty
5 Alien with breathing apparatus, frilled legs, hand on gun in holster

Thomas Toys have a sixth figure holding a rifle in their set; this figure was not included in the Poplar set.

Attached Images

• SDC10755.jpg

Brian Hayes

#2 Blechroboter

Blechroboter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:31 PM

Have three of the poplar Plastic figures. They smell in a similar way like the Matt Mason Mason figures. So I think they were also made in soft PVC, which is similar to rubber. As far as I understood, the Thomas space men were made in a soft plastic, similar to the Airfix soldiers of the seventies & eighties. Bill it´s your turn ;) .

Also I own colourful orange or blue space men, made in an Airfix like soft plastic, which are copies of the Thomas figures.
Copy means new forms with some small differences to the originals. And last I have two another copies in "Airfix plastic" which do have a base.

Therefore in the moment I think there a four different producers of these figures:
1. Thomas Toys(the original)
2. Poplar Plastics
3. Colourful soft plastic figures. Perhaps both your green figures belong to that, Brian.
4. Figures with a base in soft plastic, I know of colours in white or silver.
Blechroboter.de

Es kracht und zischt, der Roboter macht nischt. Er kam vom Mars, und das warīs!

#3 Brian..

Brian..

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 11:57 AM

Space Hawk spacemen. Another outing of the set on a neat backing card. The plastic used for these figures looks appreciably different from the usual rubberized plastic of the first batch.

CORRECTION: this is an incorrect combination of card and spacemen. See below.

Attached Images

• 23234.jpg

Brian Hayes

#4 The Toyman

The Toyman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:46 AM

Brian, the card is for the "Space Hawk|" space ship pictured on the card,(I've had two carded versions, both with silver "Space Hawks") to the best of my knowledge it wasn't issued with Spacemen attached...

Noel
Noel.J.McAuley.

#5 Brian..

Brian..

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:36 PM

Thanks Noel.

Brian Hayes

#6 The Toyman

The Toyman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 02:03 PM

US $256.99 :o

...oh dear!

This seller usually has some good items for sale, but if you look closely ( well actually, not THAT closely) you'll see the tabs that the elastic band goes around to hold the craft in place, Brian, if you remember Dave Jones, it was him that I bought them off...part of the famous/infamous Tenerife haul from years back!

Noel
Noel.J.McAuley.

#7 Blechroboter

Blechroboter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:10 PM

The Space Hawk card was made by Poplar Playthings. It was distributed
with 1 Space Hawk ship and 2 bronze-coloured space man. However all the
colourful space men in yellow, red, blue and green were made by Alden Toys.
See also "Blast Off!" page 116 below.
Blechroboter.de

Es kracht und zischt, der Roboter macht nischt. Er kam vom Mars, und das warīs!

#8 Brian..

Brian..

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:29 PM

Ah, the Tenerife haul. I remember it well. A toyshop untouched for years. The stuff of dreams. Our mutual friend Phil made a fortune out of it.

Thanks Blech for the added details.

Brian Hayes