MacDaddyRico

American Mettle

MacDaddyRico

I found this ceramic one in Liverpool UK, hand painted and made in Thailand...and the German tinplate bank came off Ebay, I think I have others too :lol: :blink:

Noel

Wow, the hand-painted bank should be a very rare specimen, no? It's awesome! That robot is so cute!

I like ceramics as well (see pictures) and try to buy undamaged specimens, but sometimes, due to the rarity, one might have to overlook a small chip or what-have-you.

I had to show the front of the Alien Saucer here, as I neglected to include it earlier. He's too cute.

I've a hand-painted metal tube (pictured here) which looks like it might be a one-of-a-kind piece of American folk art.

Your German bank has a magnificent fantasy scene!

post-1299-1272544451.jpg

post-1299-1272544771.jpg

post-1299-1272544878.jpg

post-1299-1272545019.jpg

‚Äč
MacDaddyRico

In addition to the space-themed banks and such, I began collecting decanters:

Crap! My computer crashed! I'll need to continue uploading decanters when I get my back-up computer back from the Geek Squad (I'm on my assistant's laptop presently.)

post-1299-1272545535.jpg

SarasotaRobby

Hey MDR

Love your collection! I collect space race stuff and have always wanted to get more into the banks, only have a couple. Currently I'm focusing in Soviet items, but after seeing your collection, I imagine we'll all be paying more attention (and thus paying more $$ :blush: ) to the banks available.

You ever do shows in Florida?

MacDaddyRico

Hey MDR

Love your collection! I collect space race stuff and have always wanted to get more into the banks, only have a couple. Currently I'm focusing in Soviet items, but after seeing your collection, I imagine we'll all be paying more attention (and thus paying more $$ :blush: ) to the banks available.

You ever do shows in Florida?

Thanks!

Being a product of that era and recalling all of the toys I played with (and thus destroyed, natch) it amazes me when I discover toys of the era which I never even knew existed!

The Soviet products are very attractive, I agree, and I've actually been thinking of adding some specimens to my collection. But as far as a new mission's concerned; it's a toss-up between the Soviets and the Robots, and either way it'll be a long and interesting journey!

Yes, I'll be doing the annual Astronaut Autograph & Memorabilia Show sponsered by a cause I believe deeply in, the Astronaut Scholarship Foundation.

Click here or on my banner below and read more about my banks and I...

And thanks again!

Phil R

Nice collection, MDR. You need to have the Atomic Bank in your collection. :D Whoops! I should look before I leap! Nice banks on the link. I've always wavered on buying one of the solar system banks.

post-221-1272585084.jpg

MacDaddyRico

Nice collection, MDR. You need to have the Atomic Bank in your collection. :D Whoops! I should look before I leap! Nice banks on the link. I've always wavered on buying one of the solar system banks.

Yes, there are also a couple tucked into the sides of the group shot posted in the OP, but they're kinda hard to spot right off.

These Atomic Banks were the first model type patented by Duro back in 1949.

The Solar System Bank, by Astro, was less mechanical than the rest; Drop a coin in a slot and rotate the ring of plantes by hand, and gravity drops the coin through a gap on the inner portion of the ring at a predetermined location. Coins are retrieved through a lockplate in the bottom.

post-1299-1272587938.jpg

post-1299-1272587965.jpg

MacDaddyRico

A fun group of vintage banks:

post-1299-1272591501.jpg

post-1299-1272591509.jpg

MacDaddyRico

More decanters:

post-1299-1272592772.jpg

post-1299-1272592819.jpg

post-1299-1272592852.jpg

post-1299-1272592885.jpg

post-1299-1272592904.jpg

MacDaddyRico

I located a matte green Duro Mercury Bank and pounced on it. Notice the difference between it and the matte silver/blueish-grey models: The Star emblem is painted yellow, not dark blue.

I'm still diligently searching for the ever elusive chromed version, as well as for the chromed Flying Saucer...

post-1299-1272814900.jpg

post-1299-1272815678.jpg

MacDaddyRico

One of my favorite plastic banks; A combination-dial Re-Entry Gemini Spacecraft Module manufactured by Beacon.

This specimen opens when the year 1964 is aligned:

post-1299-1272847133.jpg

post-1299-1272847197.jpg

robobob

Very Cool !!!!! B)

MacDaddyRico

Very Cool !!!!! B)

Thank you very much!

You site is very cool as well.

MacDaddyRico

A variety of vintage globe banks, plus an Apollo Moon Flights Globe.

Notice the two different Replogle Moon Globe Banks which stradle the Earth Globe Bank; The one on the right is pre-1959 while the other has the far (or Dark) side of the Moon mapped out, as well as illustrates all missions leading up to and including Apollo 11.

post-1299-1274292393.jpg

Blechroboter

Amazing collection of yours! :) Especially I like the Gemini Space capsule.

In Germany we had only a tin earth globe bank ( no moons) as far as I can remember.

The same tin earth globe was also produced as a pencil sharpener, which was sold in high quantities in the 60s & 70s.

MacDaddyRico

Amazing collection of yours! :) Especially I like the Gemini Space capsule.

In Germany we had only a tin earth globe bank ( no moons) as far as I can remember.

The same tin earth globe was also produced as a pencil sharpener, which was sold in high quantities in the 60s & 70s.

Thank you very much, I appreciate your interest!

Yes, perhaps Germany didn't make any Moon banks but they did make some nice Moon Globes:

post-1299-1274641329.jpg

post-1299-1274641343.jpg

post-1299-1274641361.jpg