14 replies to this topic

#1 Blechroboter

Blechroboter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 07:50 PM

Tonight - in a view minutes starts the world premiere of the complete and restorated movie in Berlin and Frankfurt.
Will watch on TV. Also in Berlin it will be shown in an open air cinema. 2000 people will watching and it is real freezing cold there.
I have the DVD with the restored 90min version and now curious to see the missing parts. Only a few minutes are lost until today.
Prefix begins...
Blechroboter.de

Es kracht und zischt, der Roboter macht nischt. Er kam vom Mars, und das warīs!

#2 Blechroboter

Blechroboter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 10:40 PM

Finish! smile.gif
It was quite impressive to watch the movie now complete. It was the first time I had the feeling to understand it all.
So what is really new? Most new scenes are about Josaphat and "der Schmale" (Thin Man =A spy of Joh Fredericson).
Also some new scenes with Joh Fredericson and the false Maria. Now the acting and the motives of those persons are understandable.
Metropolis is a classic! Without any question. And it was an event to watch the whole movie after more than 80 years. Enjoyed it.
But itīs also true there are better movies and what critics sayed about Metropolis in 1927 is right.
Donīt forget Metropolis was not a success and it was a great lost for the producing company.
Personally I prefer Fritz Langīs "Die Nibelungen" from 1924. Thatīs a great classic.
Blechroboter.de

#3 jimmiesparks

jimmiesparks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:16 AM

How did the restored scenes look? I understand the owner of the deteriorating 35mm footage had it printed to 16mm and then the 16mm incurred wear from use since the 60s. Guess he didn't know what he had in Argentina.

Can't wait to see it on DVD in April.
Michael Dean

Watch the skies, everywhere! Keep looking. Keep watching the skies!

#4 Blechroboter

Blechroboter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 07:55 PM

You can differ the argentinian scenes from the others by their bad quality. I thought this strange situation very comfortable while watching.

Here is the story how I understand it.
The original 35mm film was in a bad quality after 30 years of use. An argentinian collector was clever enough to save it and copied it to 16mm.
Than the movie comes to the argentinian movie archive with lot of other movies from thecollection. First problem was the loss of information by the smaller size.
Second problem is the lots of scatches from the 35mm which now was copied. Today if you have a bad original youīll copy it under fluid,
so lot of scatches will disappear. The only thing left for restoring the argentinian tapes was a digital work. 40.000 pictures had to be edit.

Here is a short video about the "new" Metropolis with only a few scenes of the argentinian tapes. Metropolis 2010
Blechroboter.de

#5 JohnA

JohnA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 02:28 AM

QUOTE (Blechroboter @ Feb 13 2010, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here is a short video about the "new" Metropolis with only a few scenes of the argentinian tapes. Metropolis 2010

That doesn't look terrible at all. It's not as clean but it's still not bad. I've only ever had the TERRIBLE Excelsior version which is fairly unwatchable. It took me several tries to even get through it. I never got around to the Kino DVD so I'm really looking forward to the Blu-ray release of this restored version.

John
John J. Alvarez
Editor
http://www.theswca.com

#6 Joe K.

Joe K.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,785 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 02:11 PM

QUOTE (jimmiesparks @ Feb 13 2010, 04:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can't wait to see it on DVD in April.

Available from Kino:

http://www.kino.com/metropolis/
Joe Knedlhans - Owner/Curator
The Toy Robot Museum @ Stoudtburg Village
Adamstown, Pennsylvania

#7 SarasotaRobby

SarasotaRobby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 05:03 PM

Not sure if they are selling Marias or just doing one replica.....

http://kropserkel.co...polis_info.html

SarasotaRobby

#8 SarasotaRobby

SarasotaRobby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 05:03 PM

Not sure if they are selling Marias or just doing one replica.....

http://kropserkel.co...polis_info.html

SarasotaRobby