Sign in to follow this  
SarasotaRobby

Johillco Space Stations

SarasotaRobby

I've seen a few photos in Blast Off! of the Johillco Space Ports and other buildings. Johillco was (is?) a competitor of Britains figures and I guess the buildings went with their figures? I did a search and found one in Brian's collection. Anybody else have any more info or photos? I think the shapes are a riot. They'd be the perfect base for a collection of Archer figures.....

Brian..

Here's the one I located many years ago.

dratomic

I once saw what I think was a reproduction of one for sale on eBay. Repro or not, it was really cool looking and I'd have bid if not for the really high shipping cost -- the thing was kind of big and delicate, and to pack it right would have required a huge box...

I'd love to know more about these things if anyone's got any info.

Eagle

Ok ,what are we looking at here ? What is this? Are there parts missing ? I'm confused and intrigued . :closedeyes:

Blechroboter

Mark, you will find more in the "Blast Off" book on page 112 & 133. The look of the Johillco spaceports is simply fantastic!

And they are easy to make - for you ;) . I´ve always thought to do something in that kind for my spacemen.

Eagle

I'm not sure what the antenna is supposed to do . Phil sent some photo's, cool diorama from Blastoff depicting Mars from War of Worlds. I don't collect the little space guys but if anyone is interested , I'll build a few like Phil sent.

post-545-1262970258.jpg

dratomic

Six inches? I'm surprised -- it looks much larger in Blast Off. Did they change the scale in Photoshop? Or is your platform, Brian, one of the smaller ones?

Still, if nothing else, it seems like the type of thing that someone could copy -- in spirit, anyway -- to create an excellent display.

SarasotaRobby

Brian, you must have the smallest one? The others shown in Blast Off! are bigger when shown with other space toys/figures in proximity. I cranked up my scanner and here are the images from Blast Off!

post-704-1262973615.jpg

post-704-1262973640.jpg

SarasotaRobby

And some more....

post-704-1262973718.jpg

post-704-1262973837.jpg

Tinplate6

They always struck me as a nice display platform for rockets and some of the smaller saucers and space toys, too.

You know, Doc has a point there, these would be fantastic for the small space figures, a heck of a lot better than those plastic boxes I have mine in. So, any of you "Handy Andys" want to start reproducing them for us Alphadromers? ;)

Eagle

How about this one ? It needs some space men . I don't have any. :closedeyes: This was a lot of fun. I made patterns just in case anyone might want to build one .

post-545-1263367761.jpg

post-545-1263367787.jpg

SarasotaRobby

How about this one ? It needs some space men . I don't have any. :closedeyes: This was a lot of fun. I made patterns just in case anyone might want to build one .

Cool, you captured the essence! What'd you use for the domes and cylinders?

I have silkscreen equipment and was thinking of doing some with more kitchy graphics on masonite...

Great job.

Electric Robot and Son

Eagle,

Pretty cool looking. I always liked the dioramas in Blast Off. Maybe you could make larger scale versions and market them as Robot Houses. Why should dolls be the only toys with some place to live?

Tinplate6

Eagle,

Pretty cool looking. I always liked the dioramas in Blast Off. Maybe you could make larger scale versions and market them as Robot Houses. Why should dolls be the only toys with some place to live?

I agree, excellent job, yup, no time like the present Eagle, wanna crank out a few more? Name your price. :)

Blechroboter

Awesome work, Eagle. Top notch!

Perhaps Phil can borrow you some space men ;)